Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is college oppressive?

Replies to: Is college oppressive?

• coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    First of all, "evil capitalism" and "racism" are buzz words, not theories. You go to college to expand your mind and learn different theories. It's meant to free your mind. You can agree or disagree, but you need to learn them. The "free" or "oppressive" part is up to you.
  • thomas4881thomas4881 Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    @coolguy40 Sadly, many people's love of politics have led them to be closed minded. I've had a professor give me a bad grade for not agreeing with their politics.
  • 1Dreamer1Dreamer Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    They train young people to be part of capitalism and the oppressive society. They reinforce racism, classism, and sexism and have been a major tool of colonization".

What site was this? When you see things like this, it’s important to research and consider the source before you take it seriously. From the wording, it sounds like a propaganda website.

Anything you don’t like and feel stuck in can feel oppressive. It might be a job, a relationship, the weather, a city/neighborhood, and yes, college. College isn’t for everyone, and just like certain jobs, relationships, cities and neighborhoods, some colleges may be better fits for some than others.

The great thing is, you don’t have to stay in that job, that relationship, that city/neighborhood or college. Lots of people like to complain without taking steps to do anything about it, or they make excuses as to why they can’t make changes, but as my father often said when I used the word ‘can’t’ while I was growing up, . . . . . can’t never did anything.

What I've learned is that everything in life is a choice. Everything. That doesn't mean we always like our choices. Sometimes we have to choose a lesser of evils, but there's always a choice to be made, and once you realize that, it can be empowering.

I have had a couple of jobs in my life that I found oppressive, but reminded myself that no one was forcing me to walk in the door and work there every day. I continued to go because I preferred it to the alternative of unemployment, looking for another job, or because I was making so much money that it was worth it to put up with it for the time being, and as long as I was making that choice, I committed to walk in every day with my head held high and do the very best job I could, and do it with a good attitude. When it was no longer worth it or when I could no longer do it with a good attitude, I knew I could leave, and I did.
  • coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Spend a year in a North Korean prison camp. That's oppressive.
    That's a false analogy.
  • sta3535sta3535 Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    College isn't oppressive at all. To some, maybe, but to others, not so much.

It's just how the system works: From tuition to the workload, it's not as bad as people think. Yes, the debt can affect you negatively, but hey, some jobs require degrees and honestly, maybe you shouldn't be going to college if you think it's oppressive.

IMO, this kinda reminds me of something that I'd post on here, but I'd never do something like that because I think college is great, despite the pros and cons. It's crazy to think of a schooling system being oppressive, but if that's what you believe, then go ahead.
    I looked up "Is college oppressive" on Google and I saw a page full of links saying it is.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,402 Super Moderator
    Umm, you can also look up "Are vaccinations harmful?" and get many, many links of nonsense (I would use a stronger word but I can't as a moderator).
    @MaineLonghorn This guy sounds like he felt oppressed in college - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dighxU3Aqm0
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 2,831 Senior Member
    College is liberating, if it’s oppressive then your not at the right college.
    @CU123 This guy who graduated from Duke said it ruined his life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIYixXTvy24
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 2,831 Senior Member
    Yes you can always give me an example of a single person who didn’t have a good experience. The vast majority have great experiences, clearly this person was not at the right college for him.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,402 Super Moderator
    Yes, you can always find unhappy people.

I can tell right away the people who move to Maine who won't last. They're the ones who complain about the weather incessantly and never take advantage of winter activities. They always compare Maine to where they used to live, too. That doesn't mean that Maine isn't an incredible place to live! (Please don't spread this around, though - we don't want too many people to find out about it!)
  • MrElonMuskMrElonMusk Registered User Posts: 1,268 Senior Member
    @thomas4881 Whether college is oppressive is entirely dependent on what you do in college.
    @MrElonMusk I didn't think college was oppressive because I didn't have to be there.
This discussion has been closed.