Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is college oppressive?

13»

Replies to: Is college oppressive?

• thomas4881thomas4881 Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    edited May 2018
    @MaineLonghorn I do see your point because some people won't be happy no matter where they go.
  • GudmomGudmom Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    edited May 2018
    I don’t think the OP is serious. He doesn’t give examples of why he personally finds college oppressive, just quotes a single website and posts clips of someone ELSE who thinks college ruined his life.
    Do you know what oppressive is, @thomas4881 ? It’s an adjective, not a fact. If you don’t like it, don’t go.
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,887 Senior Member
    If your original college credits are ~13 years old, you're not 20. A 30-something-year-old is going to have a different college experience than an 18-year-old. If you don't care for the vibe of the college you want to attend, pick another one. You could decide not to finish your degree, I suppose, but working the types of jobs you can generally get without a college degree is probably going to feel pretty oppressive too.
    edited May 2018
    @austinmshauri Working a job that requires a degree can feel oppressive too, especially when you start out making $40,000 or less a year and paying are paying back student loans.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Working a job that requires a degree can feel oppressive too

This requires a very different definition of "oppression" than what you said on the first page about racism, sexism, etc. What is really the concern here? Seems like just about anything could be attributed to "being oppressive."
    @bodangles Others here already said that feeling oppressed is one's own experience.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,393 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: I don' think there is anything that can be added to this discussion. Closing thread.
13»
This discussion has been closed.