Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is college oppressive?

thomas4881thomas4881 Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
Is college oppressive?

Replies to: Is college oppressive?

• OhWhatsHerNameOhWhatsHerName Registered User Posts: 816 Member
    Why would it be?
  • thomas4881thomas4881 Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    edited April 2018
    Google "Is college oppressive" and you'll see a list of articles saying college is oppressive.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Define "oppressive."
  • kalonskalons Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    edited April 2018
    this question is very opinion based, so in my (short) opinion, it depends. if you're a super left-winged liberal who attends college of the ozarks, yes, i would consider that to be an oppressive environment, but it's the same thing as being an ultra right-winged conservative who attends reed college. both could be labeled as "oppressive" environments depending on certain factors.
    I read this on a website "School is the main institution of young people's oppression. Schools are not set up well for young people to learn. ... They train young people to be part of capitalism and the oppressive society. They reinforce racism, classism, and sexism and have been a major tool of colonization".
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,713 Senior Member
    I remember spending more time than I wanted to studying in college. That felt oppressive sometimes. I also really hated some of the major requirement courses I had to take —that felt kind of oppressive, too. But I remember some really uplifting and brilliant experiences, too — when I came up with an original idea in an English Lit class that made my prof take me aside and lobby for me to major in English Lit. Or getting the top grade in the class my first case study problem ever. Or correcting a prof using a fact I’d just learned in a related class (and corrected prof later admitted I was right and gave me an A+ in the class — only one I ever got in college). :D
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    If you believe that your college is oppressive then you will feel like it is oppressive. Any institution can feel oppressive, especially if you avoid your responsibilities but still expect to do well, or that the environment is responsible for your success or not. Freedom comes from accepting responsibilities and acting accordingly.
    edited April 2018
    @NorthernMom61 Do you think college wouldn't be oppressive if students didn't have to pay so much money for it?
  • amNotarobotamNotarobot Registered User Posts: 266 Junior Member
    In our county, a student in public school costs about $9,000 per year funded by local property tax. Each class of the HS has an average of 30 students. In a state college, the average class has about 15 students, so the cost for each student should cost as twice as much as the HS. In the top private, average class size can be only about 8 to 10 students, so the cost for each students should at least 3 times more than the high school. Besides, college professors usually have more advanced degrees than the HS teachers; therefore, the cost should be adjusted for this too. The high cost of education is driven by free market, the basic of supply and demand, and has nothing to do with oppression. May be the OP prefers a free college education in a communist country?
  • NoKillliNoKillli Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    Last semester my sophomore took a 400/500 level Math class. Problem sets took 20-25 hours/week... every week. That is oppressive!
    @amNotarobot Just because a college education is free in Germany doesn't mean that everyone is going to be allowed to become a doctor. You must have the capability to become a doctor to be allowed into that program.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    I don't think college is oppressive. I think it is a choice, an incredible opportunity, a privelege. It's up to the student to take advantage of the things that college has to offer. Education is one of the things that has the potential of being a great equalizer in our nation and the world. Yes it can take a lot of hard work, sometimes brutally hard. But, college being a level of education that is a choice means that the student who truly feels oppressed can walk away anytime.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,058 Super Moderator
    I loved college, even when it was hard and I had to pull all-nighters. I agree with @NorthernMom61!
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,440 Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    Nobody's going to force you to return to college. You can always get a full-time job instead, but I think there are more opportunities available to people who finish their degrees.

Education isn't oppressive, a high level of debt is. You don't have to choose an expensive college. If you don't want to pay a lot, choose a school whose net cost isn't oppressive. If you need to repair your GPA, a cc is probably a great place to start. If you talk to the career office at your local cc they can direct you to people who can help you sort out your transcript.
This discussion has been closed.