right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

If a college/university was to cut spending/save money, what area would most likely be affected?

sta3535sta3535 205 replies113 threads Member
Without raising their overall tuition?
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: If a college/university was to cut spending/save money, what area would most likely be affected?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 85298 replies761 threads Senior Member
    Depends on the college and its other constraints. Some examples:

* Change recruiting and admission criteria to admit more non-FA students.
    * Eliminate underenrolled programs and courses.
    * Increase class sizes, so that the same number of students can be taught by fewer instructors.
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1323 replies1 threads Senior Member
    Having experienced that in IL, first to go seemed to be grounds keeping and building maintenance.
    · Reply · Share
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers 893 replies2 threads Member
    @TomSrOfBoston and @Mandalorian - you are singing the song of my people.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 36064 replies406 threads Senior Member
    First thing my U did in 2008 was a hiring freeze and get rid of many staff, some of whom had been lifers and were offered retirement incentives. Be careful what you wish for. They turned down the heat, which was noticeable all across campus, changed library hours and other things. But just as fast, they opened a new pool of FA for affected students/families. At DH's college, everyone got a salary freeze, which lasted several years. Class size grew.

A lot of people gripe about bloat, but at the same time want their paperwork processed quickly, a pretty campus, enough faculty and security, the campus bus service. Kids complain about dorm amenities and lab or library hours. The only higher priced staff hired were people either generating money or managing broad student programs.

It's pretty easy to sling arrows. Not as easy to see what campuses do and where they set limits.
    · Reply · Share
  • MandalorianMandalorian 1739 replies14 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    @lookingforward- I don't think the problem is with campus staff, groundskeepers, bus drivers, security guards, etc. They are not expensive and are usually hourly employees. The problem is Administrators.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • sta3535sta3535 205 replies113 threads Member
    edited August 2018
    Maybe adding some clubs, organizations, and adding some new majors/programs would help? Cutting out a sports team or a program has its obvious pros and cons.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 36064 replies406 threads Senior Member
    Admins are staff.
    · Reply · Share
  • TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 432 replies0 threads Member
    @lookingforward I bet we work at the same place. I was fortunate to be employed. Campus-wide reduction of budget and even cut backs on office supplies. I had forgotten about the heat setting though.
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 1061 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Groundskeeping cuts, hiring freeze, fewer/bigger classes, using adjuncts for everything (even non-faculty positions like administration "non-teaching adjuncts")
    · Reply · Share
  • zannahzannah 1081 replies12 threads Senior Member
    The biggest hit seems to be in library acquisitions. The monetary amount may not be huge, but it is a hidden cut.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity