Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

If a college/university was to cut spending/save money, what area would most likely be affected?

sta3535sta3535 Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
Without raising their overall tuition?

Replies to: If a college/university was to cut spending/save money, what area would most likely be affected?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,745 Senior Member
    Depends on the college and its other constraints. Some examples:

* Change recruiting and admission criteria to admit more non-FA students.
    * Eliminate underenrolled programs and courses.
    * Increase class sizes, so that the same number of students can be taught by fewer instructors.
  • yourmommayourmomma Registered User Posts: 758 Member
    Having experienced that in IL, first to go seemed to be grounds keeping and building maintenance.
  • MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,745 Senior Member
    Would would actually make a difference: fire many of the non-teaching, non-researching administrators. What they will do: literally anything else.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    @TomSrOfBoston and @Mandalorian - you are singing the song of my people.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 27,776 Senior Member
    First thing my U did in 2008 was a hiring freeze and get rid of many staff, some of whom had been lifers and were offered retirement incentives. Be careful what you wish for. They turned down the heat, which was noticeable all across campus, changed library hours and other things. But just as fast, they opened a new pool of FA for affected students/families. At DH's college, everyone got a salary freeze, which lasted several years. Class size grew.

A lot of people gripe about bloat, but at the same time want their paperwork processed quickly, a pretty campus, enough faculty and security, the campus bus service. Kids complain about dorm amenities and lab or library hours. The only higher priced staff hired were people either generating money or managing broad student programs.

It's pretty easy to sling arrows. Not as easy to see what campuses do and where they set limits.
  • MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,745 Senior Member
    edited August 9
    @lookingforward- I don't think the problem is with campus staff, groundskeepers, bus drivers, security guards, etc. They are not expensive and are usually hourly employees. The problem is Administrators.
  • sta3535sta3535 Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    edited August 9
    Maybe adding some clubs, organizations, and adding some new majors/programs would help? Cutting out a sports team or a program has its obvious pros and cons.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 27,776 Senior Member
    Admins are staff.
  • TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    @lookingforward I bet we work at the same place. I was fortunate to be employed. Campus-wide reduction of budget and even cut backs on office supplies. I had forgotten about the heat setting though.
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    Groundskeeping cuts, hiring freeze, fewer/bigger classes, using adjuncts for everything (even non-faculty positions like administration "non-teaching adjuncts")