right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

The more people you know, the better?

sta3535sta3535 205 replies113 threads Member
edited August 2018 in College Confidential Cafe
If several people "know" you or even remember you from school or somewhere else, then is that considered a good thing for connecting and networking in certain situations?

Now, you don't have to be friends with them or apart of the popular crowd, just well-known by many people. It's more like being acquaintances with them.
edited August 2018
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: The more people you know, the better?

• Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 2496 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Not the more people that you know....but, the people that you know, remember you, and have relevance to you. It's not the numbers but the numbers and the quality of the relationship. ( the numbers only matter because a larger pool of people in general has more resources and contacts even if they aren't close to you in any way). Also, you may not have connected in a meaningful way but the person may remember you or your talents.
    · Reply · Share
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU 1540 replies17 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    It needs to be a neutral or positive impression or rememberance.

I have found the practice of "not burning bridges" to be helpful in college, career and life in general. Sometimes the world seems very small and connected. Example - I work with people I met more than 30 yrs ago at another company when I was the rookie. Good thing I wasn't a twerp back then.

You need a handful of good friends, and a larger group of associates/ acquaintances and an overall good reputation.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity