Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where do you think he was accepted?

better nowbetter now Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I thought this would be an interesting game to see, in retrospective, where you thought a c/o 22 applicant was accepted this past spring. I will share the answer, after some responses. List any school you think this applicant was accepted out of these seven -

Case Western, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, University of Rochester, University of VA, Rice, and Vandy

White Male
Biomedical Engineering
GPA - 4.06 (highest GPA at school was a 4.66)
All honors, with 8 APs, 37 total HS credits
ACT - 34, took one time
SAT - 1510, 1520 super scored, took twice (750 read, 770 math)
AP Calc AB - 5
AP Phys 1 - 5
AP Enviro. Sc. - 5
AP Comp. Sc. - 4
The other four APs (Calc BC, Phys II, Stats, and Lit/Comp.) were taken senior year and scores were not available at the time of application
Awards - National Merit Commendation, National Latin Exam - Outstanding Achievement, Regional Science Fair 3rd place - Engineering Category
ECs - Marching Band 4yrs, Robotics - 2 yrs. (Jr. & Sr.), Crew (community team) - 4 years, Summer Swim Team - 3 years, Job - grocery store bagger

What is your best guess?

Replies to: Where do you think he was accepted?

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,747 Senior Member
    No one can see his recommendations or essays. And it looks like the GPA is weighted, sonthis is not a full set of info.

“Past chances” are likely to be no more accurate than “future chances”. He would have gotten serious consideration at all these schools. He could have gotten into all or none or some.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 4,164 Senior Member
    hard to know without knowing how the 4.06 compares to his classmates. top 10%, top 20% - how big is the school?
    But I'll wager that Rice and Northwestern were wait lists
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,689 Senior Member
    State of residency?
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 Registered User Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    Case Western, UVA, and University of Rochester?
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,692 Senior Member
    Where does he live? Rural? Urban? SES? Full pay? ED to any of these? What did he write his essay about?
  • chercheurchercheur Registered User Posts: 1,251 Senior Member
    I'll play. Accepted to none of the above.
  • better nowbetter now Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited September 2018
    To answer some of the questions - suburban school in VA, essay - AP english teacher gave it an A and it was reviewed by a college English professor.
  • elguapo1elguapo1 Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    All of them
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,950 Super Moderator
    edited September 2018
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    I fail to see the need for this thread. You want us to guess? Tell us or don't tell us - your option, but since you know the answer, I'm finding the guessing game aspect pointless and not the purpose of this site. Additionally, since this post is not about you, so it's not allowed for privacy reasons

A better post would be one made by the applicant in which he tells us the results as well as any hindsights and lessons learned that may be helpful for future applicants Closing thread.
    Post edited by skieurope on
This discussion has been closed.