Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dismissed from college do I go back to that college? (HELP)

HelpTheStudent23HelpTheStudent23 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I was dismissed from my university this summer with a GPA of <2. I am currently going to community college back home to get my associates degree. I was wondering if I should even consider going back to the school I was dismissed from? My old school would require me to notify one of the deans that I want to have readmission, the dean would then have to look over my transcript and approve for readmission application. Once that happens I either get accepted or denied. If I go back I will be going back on the terms I left on, which is on academic probation and with a GPA hole that I would have to dig myself out of. There are so many circumstances that I don't have answers to. I question going back because in order to bring my GPA back to somewhat okay (above 3.2) it would take 6 semesters of averaging A-. This then leads me to where if one semester I don't get that or above I may be in even more set back. Please someone give me their opinions on this!

Replies to: Dismissed from college do I go back to that college? (HELP)

• HowardGradlyHowardGradly Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    Hi. I wanted to respond to you, however I probably do not have enough knowledge abt this to be helpful. 2 questions tho:
    1. Do you want to return to that school?
    2. If you transfer to a different University after doing well in CC, would you still have that “gpa hole”
  • thomas4881thomas4881 Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    edited October 2018
    Do you really want to be in college and what's your objective?
  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,597 Senior Member
    College is only a small part of your life, life is full of challenges. You should challenge yourself all the time, by graduating from a college is an accomplishment and a milestone in your life you should work at.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,290 Senior Member
    How good is that university? Do you have friends there? Does it have good connnections/alumni network?
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,717 Forum Champion
    edited October 2018
    What is the university or what type or what ranking?

I think you should figure out what went wrong last time. What was the issue?
    Health, mental health, relationship issues? Too much sports/partying/Clubs/videogames? Working too many hours?
    Feeling like what happens if you try your best but still don't do well? Too much freedom/executive function issues?
    Not prepared from HS? Trying to do it all on your own without help?

Check out these tips: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-life/1920853-college-is-a-step-up-from-hs-16-tips-on-doing-well-in-college.html

Then after a semester or more of CC, think about how you are doing and what you want. I have a friend whose son started at Cornell. He was very into the robotics program, but not into his school work. He was also told to take classes elsewhere for a year. He went to a local state school for a year. After that year he decided not to return to Cornell but finish at the state school. He now works in robotics at Amazon.

So after a year, you may find out that now you have the drive and study skills to return. or you may have found a place that fits you.

Note that whereever you go you still have that GPA hole to dig out of.