right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

What are your top 3 (dream) schools?

13»

Replies to: What are your top 3 (dream) schools?

• 1stTimeThruMom1stTimeThruMom 360 replies9 threads Member
    My son’s top three are Georgetown, Lehigh, and Wake Forest, but these are both academic and financial reaches. We need to find about six to nine good fits/safeties to try instead for pre-med and/or business/poli sci!
    · Reply · Share
  • nontradhopefulnontradhopeful 40 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Stanford, UNC, UCB

But I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to go to college and will be grateful no matter where the universe chooses to send me. 🤗
    · Reply · Share
  • squ1rrelsqu1rrel 412 replies30 threads Member
    I'm a freshman in HS but...

MIT, Northwestern, UIUC

(com sci)
    · Reply · Share
  • 10s4life10s4life Forum Champion UCLA 2387 replies49 threads Forum Champion
    In 2016 my top 3 were UCLA, Stanford, and UC Berkeley. If I got into Stanford I would have gone just because you can’t turn down that opportunity. But my heart always said UCLA and here I am.
    · Reply · Share
  • lostaccountlostaccount 5331 replies90 threads Senior Member
    For the kid/student or parent?
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 10183 replies129 threads Senior Member
    For the poster, I think.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 40280 replies2204 threads Super Moderator
    @bethany23, UTA? That's UT-Arlington. The flagship is referred to as UT or sometimes UT Austin.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2182 replies14 threads Senior Member
    @Riversider, you forgot MIT on that list.
    · Reply · Share
  • CavsFan2003CavsFan2003 938 replies74 threads Senior Member
    I'm still pretty early into the college process, but at this point of my high school career, my top 3 schools are MIT, Caltech, and Northeastern.
    · Reply · Share
  • bethany23bethany23 4 replies0 threads New Member
    edited May 2019
    @MaineLonghorn oh whoops mb lol
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • JimQPublicJimQPublic 43 replies2 threads Junior Member
    MIT
    U Chicago
    ???

My daughter’s dream schools over the past few years were U Chicago and MIT. By the start of senior year she decided to study engineering so she ended up not applying to Chicago.

Several other schools were very appealing but not quite at the “dream” level. She said she could fall in love with them.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6360 replies123 threads Senior Member
    Boston College Georgetown Brown PLME
    · Reply · Share
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 1262 replies3 threads Senior Member
    Stanford, Carnegie Mellon University, UC Berkeley
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 threads Member
    My only dream school is USC. I don't have any others that would meet my conditions as a dream school.
    · Reply · Share
  • EconPopEconPop 499 replies8 threads Member
    edited June 2019
    If I were a high school senior today (instead of 35 years ago), my top three would be
    M.I.T.
    Howard
    Northwestern
    But I'm sure I would be happy attending 1000s of other schools. I don't really believe in "favorite" schools being the only place a student can find success and happiness. In fact, I find the idea a bit useless.

A childhood acquaintance is a college professor. His three sons earned undergraduate degrees at institutions most CC readers would not value. However, all three sons earned graduate degrees (incuding 2 PhDs) from Yale, Harvard, and U Maryland.

In most instances, it is not the institution, it is the student. Nearly every dentist can successfully address a cavity/filling. Nearly every accredited university can address educating a student. All colleges have students who drink too much and drop out; students who don't study enough and graduate with low GPAs; and students who excel and graduate with 3.8s and higher.
    edited June 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • EconPopEconPop 499 replies8 threads Member
    edited June 2019
    I want to say that my opinion that having rigid favorites is something I find "useless" as a personal guide for my son's college-selection process. We plan to visit 40-50 schools by the time he makes his decision in January or February. We've already visited more than a dozen schools and have sorted through dozens and probably hundreds of other schools. They're all more or less very similar within categories.

Unless a campus is in obvious disrepair, they're all acceptable to him. The students at every school seem ... like college students. The staffs present themselves as college professors and professionals should. And my son leaves most campuses thinking "I could go here."

Of course, there are some criteria that can narrow the field, such as desired majors not being an option at some schools, or cost, or not wanting to live in the snow or high heat. But otherwise, we've come to the conclusion that his happiness+success will not be determined by whether or not he attends one of 3 "very special to him" schools.

Maybe other parents/students find it useful to lock onto three schools with a must-have mentality. That may be a good practice for some parents/students. For us, it is not.
    edited June 2019
    · Reply · Share