right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should College be Free?

homestuckinhelhomestuckinhel 18 replies7 postsRegistered User Junior Member
https://youtu.be/lu_7ZyfuIoc

Interesting Perspective- thoughts from y’all?
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should College be Free?

• MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 postsRegistered User Member
    I think paying for college adds more value to the education. It shows that it takes dedication and commitment to get a degree. Paying for college also makes a college education feel more valuable because money is being invested on a person finding a better way of living. By making college free, more people would take college for granted and not see it as important.
    · Reply · Share
  • threebeansthreebeans 696 replies33 postsRegistered User Member
    It should not be free - it should be earned.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77173 replies672 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    As a practical matter, parental financial circumstances and choices are the primary factor in most students' ability to attend college and choose between colleges.

Making college free in general has the usual economic pitfalls of encouraging wasteful use and the like. But having it cost significant money makes college somewhat of an inheritance rather than something completely earned by the student (and the higher the cost, more it becomes an inheritance). So there is no ideal way here.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1562 replies25 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We already have free college in NYS (oh, wait it's a "scholarship" and supporters love to point out that it doesn't include room and board). Along with all the other entitlements in NYS, the result is taxes are so high people are leaving in droves and especially people can no longer afford to live here once they've retired. It isn't the weather that is causing the mass exit.

· Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 712 replies13 postsRegistered User Member
    edited June 28
    I think community colleges should be free for all, and community colleges everywhere should have solid articulation agreements like those in CA do with the California state schools.
    edited June 28
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7942 replies158 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Empireapple And that "free" college in NY only applies to certain maximum income levels. So we pay for it, as we're paying tuition for our own 3 kids. Not really a bargain for us.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 1953 replies26 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    If college becomes free, a bachelors degree will soon hold about the same value as a high school degree of today. Then masters degrees become the new bachelors degrees and we will all be debating whether we have to pay for those too.

I'd rather see income-based repayment plans for colleges and trade schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheSuccessVisaTheSuccessVisa 1 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    College shouldn't be free...Why? People don't value free things at all. When you pay for something of value, you will acknowledge it and make use of it...Going back to the top, Why are you in school or why do you want to go to school? When you answer this question, then you will know college should be free or not...
    WHY AM I IN SCHOOL?
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1208 replies24 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 28
    First off, nothing is free. Someone is paying for that “free” college. Secondly, lower income families already get significant subsidized tuition based on income and assets. The difference is paid for by government (pell grants) full pay students and endowments. Lastly, way too many kids attend college with meaningless degrees, and mostly not needed for their ultimate career.

I would prefer we had a system where only the most qualified students attend college and everyone else learns a important trade which will probably more valuable and useful to someone’s career.

I don’t believe “free” college education for all achieves anything and might actually be harmful to the economy as it “forces” many students to spend another 4 (or 5 years) getting useless degrees and delays their ability to get real skills for their long-term job.
    edited June 28
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77173 replies672 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Lastly, way too many kids attend college with meaningless degrees, and mostly not needed for their ultimate career.

Perhaps not needed in terms of actual knowledge and skills, but needed because employers want to see the credential as a way of reducing the number of applicants for each job in a convenient way.
    I would prefer we had a system where only the most qualified students attend college and everyone else learns a important trade which will probably more valuable and useful to someone’s career.

It will not be long before high SES parents do their best to ensure that their kids have the greatest opportunity and fewest barriers to trying to become those most qualified students that will be allowed to attend college, or be first in line for apprenticeships and other post-high-school education needed for the important trades if they choose them or are unable to get into college, while low SES parents may encounter fewer opportunities and more barriers for their kids (just like now).
    · Reply · Share
  • airway1airway1 697 replies3 postsRegistered User Member
    Well your parents are paying taxes so it should be free.. but sadly it’s not.. not sure why you need to earn to earn it?
    · Reply · Share
  • BellaMorganBellaMorgan 87 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Some kids get it for free because they are smart enough, but I feel like it is normal for people to pay to get an education.
    · Reply · Share
  • FadedpetalsFadedpetals 8 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
    I believe the first two years at a university should be free, because not only would there be less debt but also students wouldn't have to attend part time or drop out of a semester because they couldn't afford it. Also, during those two year, they would have worked and would have enough money to pay for the next two years. But I'm in favor for free college.
    · Reply · Share
  • scubadivescubadive 1091 replies3 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Nothing is free in life you pay one way or another either through the form of taxation, paycheck or your checking account. And when it is free (so to speak) there are limits as there are finite resources to pay even for the government. This means there are caps as to who does not have to pay and/or slots all the while increasing taxes that someone has to pay and/or cutting spending somewhere else that special interest groups will fight. While the word free makes it sound enticing, we already have the federal government spending way more than they take in. The only way to reduce college costs is to literally cut costs such as the fitness centers, living on campus, security, administration, advertising and the like.
    · Reply · Share