right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What do colleges do when they lose facilities unexpectedly?

ski_racerski_racer 692 replies28 postsRegistered User Member
My school recently experienced an explosion that likely left their two largest dorms and the only dining hall on campus unusable for the foreseeable future. Google "Argenta Hall" if you're curious. These dorms, by my estimation, probably represented just under half of the undergraduate housing on campus. As of July 8, move-in is in 39 days. The university has not yet announced any plans. I have theories about what they'll do, but they're all just speculation based on limited information and no real evidence.

I'm interested if a situation like this has ever happened at any other university and what the university did as a full or partial remedy. Anybody have any anecdotes?
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What do colleges do when they lose facilities unexpectedly?

• washugradwashugrad 1089 replies13 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    That was so bizarre and quite lucky that no one was killed or seriously injured. I don't know... can they just put y'all up in Circus Circus for a little while? ;-) (I'm not entirely joking... I don't know how full those downtown hotels get and they are pretty close to campus). I actually stayed in Argenta for a conference a few years ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • ski_racerski_racer 692 replies28 postsRegistered User Member
    @washugrad The Circus Circus was actually a key part of my theories... they do already provide free parking passes to UNR students. Only time will tell, I guess.

I'm very grateful no one was badly hurt. The holiday weekend, time of day, and an informal pre-evacuation played a large role.
    · Reply · Share
    Update: two residence halls housing 1300 students, as well as the dining hall, will be under renovation for the next 1 to 2 years. The university is currently looking at contracting with hotels (Circus Circus, Silver Legacy, El Dorado, etc). The final plan has not yet been announced.

I'm still curious about if any other schools have faced a situation like this, and what the response was.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33113 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Some other college rented entire motels, can't rmember which school. I think Circus Circus would feel luxury compared to that situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22437 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, colleges sometimes have to come up with unique housing solutions. After hurricane Katrina, some used cruise ships, hotels, camps and just about anything you can think of. Often schools use hotels for overflow housing even without a disaster.
    · Reply · Share
  • momocarlymomocarly 860 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    Son's college lost it's main library and IT center to a fire a little over a year ago. The school immediately set up "library centers" around campus to help students get what they needed. Other rival universities offered access to their sites and services right away. Space was found all over camps to turn into study areas. The response was excellent. The first floor is due to open this fall with the majority of the rest opening within a year. It has been a rough process but the school handled it very well.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 9
    @twoinanddone wow, cruise ships-- wouldn't really work in Reno but that's definitely unique!

@momocarly I'm glad to hear about a fast and effective response!
    edited July 9
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38504 replies6739 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    After hurricane Katrina, some used cruise ships, hotels, camps and just about anything you can think of.
    Tulane actually cancelled the entire Fall semester, but many universities welcomed the students as guests for the semester.

But bottom line, I'm sure the university is working on an action plan which will cause as minimal disruption as possible. It may not be ideal, but being adaptable is part of life, I guess.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33113 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    That's true, ski. Forgot that lots of kids got a semester or two opportunity up north.
    · Reply · Share