right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Job hunting back in the US after graduate school abroad

PandekagePandekage 1 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
After graduating with my bachelor's in the US I really regretted not doing study abroad, and overcompensated by going to graduate school at a German university. I've graduated with my master's now, and am working full time in Germany, but am prepping to fly back stateside to get back to work - but am a bit intimidated about what I could expect.
In particular I'm concerned about the relevance of my foreign degree (architecture) to the US professional field, as well as difficulties verifying my degree with the university (given time zone and language barrier). Might be more I have yet to think of.
In addition - having had 1.5 years work experience while I was still in the US, I've never had to apply for jobs while unemployed, but obviously in this case I can't fly over from Germany for an interview. The only feasible option is to quit my job here and relocate, then job hunt full time. How would employers consider my situation? Does the phrase "it's easier to get a job when you already have a job" hold true here?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Job hunting back in the US after graduate school abroad

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 6609 replies39 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    With modern technology I don’t know why you couldn’t start your job search from Germany. Skype interviews are very common these days.
    · Reply · Share
  • PandekagePandekage 1 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    True... Although the replies I've gotten so far were pretty adamant on an in person interview. And as a pretty junior applicant they'll probably prefer someone who can come in for an interview over someone who has to Skype.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33093 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 10
    deleted
    edited July 10
    · Reply · Share
  • BellaMorganBellaMorgan 87 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    You can start checking online and do undergo a Skype interview.
    · Reply · Share