right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Am I Homeless?

nezzynezzy 2 replies2 threads New Member
So for the past year, I have been without a permanent address. I'm not welcome in either of my parent's houses, and my sister lets me stay with her for some of my breaks (thanksgiving, winter, but not summer). I do have on-campus housing, and I worked for the school this past summer so I could get free housing. Does this make me homeless, or does this just mean I live at school?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Am I Homeless?

• AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3124 replies47 threads Senior Member
    It may depend on why you need to answer this question. Different programs can have different definitions. If I had to offer a general answer, I would say that you are not homeless: you are doing a tremendous job of housing yourself. If you need an address for driver's license or voting, I think your school address is the closest thing to what is needed.
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 786 replies5 threads Member
    It depends on the state you live in if you are trying to qualify for services. If you're just wondering, I'd say you live at school.

I'm really sorry, all that sounds very tough.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1798 replies26 threads Senior Member
    Agree with the other posters that it depends why you are wondering.

If you are just thinking about your situation in life then no, you are not homeless. You are an independent college student who lives between your sister's home and college housing. Good for you!

If you are wondering if you qualify for certain services/entitlements then you need to read the rules of said benefits.

Keep up the good work! You've got this!
    · Reply · Share
  • nezzynezzy 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Thanks for your help! I'm not applying for benefits, I was just wondering. And thank you for the kind replies :)
    · Reply · Share