right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Unmotivated because my college fate has probably already been decided

junior566junior566 1 replies2 threads New Member
So I am a junior in high school, and at the end of a somewhat dismal sophomore year, I ended with a cumulative 3.666 UW GPA, and 4.3 W GPA. Not horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely not what I'm aiming for.
Now that I'm about half way through Junior year, I have done calculations and determined that my cumulative UW GPA after this year will be ~3.8, but probably more like 3.77 (not sure exactly how accurate my calculations are). I haven't gotten SAT results yet, but I feel I did well enough on my first round to land in the 1480-1560 range eventually. Even with my current 3.666, I am in the top 10% of my class (regular public school).

I am aiming to apply to some reach schools, like Tufts, Bowdoin, Northwestern, Cornell, Vandy, etc. but of course getting in there is difficult for almost everyone. Even if I did get in, I live in a state with a very good state school (UF), and I will (assuming I get in) get a full ride to it.
The problem is, I absolutely hate the state of Florida.
I have wanted to leave this God awful, hot, swampy, flat piece of crap place for my entire life, and I truly believed I would, until my sophomore GPA dropped, making all my reach schools just a little bit more of a reach. Plus, I hadn't considered the true implications of a full ride, and seeing as my parents are pretty much average in the income department, an out of state school might just not be practical for me, unless I were to get into like Harvard or something, though I can be pretty confident that that will most likely not happen.
I just sometimes find myself losing interest in the whole process, because I have a sense in the back of my mind that I'll inevitably end up at UF.

P.S.
I really hope I don't come off as ungrateful in this, I know a lot of people would kill to have a full ride to a good state school like UF, and I'm sorry if it comes off the wrong way -- I just really do not want to go there, and I'm looking for advice on how to adjust my outlook/possible alternatives. Thanks!
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Unmotivated because my college fate has probably already been decided

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29875 replies59 threads Senior Member
    What? You can gain acceptance to the vast majority of schools in this country. Only the very most selective schools , by definition, will be a challenge. Now, paying for them is a whole other story. The schools you mention do not give merit money, so those accepted get financial aid based on their definition of need. I suggest you run NPCs on the schools and see what you would be expected to pay, and have a discussion with your parents about what they are will and able to pay for your college.

Getting a full ride,like you say you can get from UF would indeed be a challenge. But odds for that, a very long shot, if the most selective schools are what your want and you need full scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9686 replies521 threads Senior Member
    A 3.8 is a great GPA, but is it a guaranteed full ride to UF? You also have no test score yet. I suggest you check that before assuming. Typically, full rides from public U’s are given to students with 4.0 and very high test scores. You’re obviously a great student, and I don’t mean to sound harsh, but there will be stronger students than you applying to UF. The biggest scholarship I see is for 10k a year. It looks like total COA is $21k a year. Maybe there is some other scholarship I am not aware of.

You can run NPC on any school of interest. Are your parents involved in this process? Have you had a conversation with them about how much they can afford? If not, now is the time to do so. Better to know what your options are financially, before getting your hopes up. A school like Tufts isn’t going to give you any merit scholarships, and they aren’t known for being super generous with FA. So get some financial information from your parents and run the NPC.

If your stats end up being as good as you project, then you are hopefully going to have plenty of affordable options if you apply wisely. You could possibly be offered enough money to make attending college in another state affordable. There are some public U’s that will automatically give you money based on your stats. There are private Liberal Arts Colleges that would love a high stats student from Florida and might offer some very generous merit scholarships.

It’s hard to offer sound advice without a better idea of the financial constraints you face. Find out and get back to us. Meanwhile, there are worse fates in life than having to attend a well-regraded State university.
    · Reply · Share
  • junior566junior566 1 replies2 threads New Member
    @Lindagaf
    I have completed an academic program that automatically grants me a statewide scholarship giving me a full ride to any state school (sorry, I should have made that more clear), so I can be sure of the full ride to UF. Just wanted to clear things up.
    I haven't run any NPC's, but I will certainly do so once I can get my parents income information (I have just a general idea).
    Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • kanflykanfly 53 replies4 threads Junior Member
    You have strong test scores and a good GPA. There are a lot of schools that would consider you for a half or full ride based on your current stats.

Miami of OH
    https://miamioh.edu/admission/merit-guarantee/index.html

Alabama
    https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/out-of-state/

Arizona
    https://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships/freshman-transfer
    · Reply · Share
  • grizzlybear23grizzlybear23 15 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Financial aid and extra scholarships throughout the year can help you as well. Some majors have their own scholarships.
    · Reply · Share