right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What are my admission chances

BrunerJuBrunerJu 4 replies2 threads New Member
Hi I am wondering my admission chances to Cornell university’s college of engineering. I will be applying early decision I am a Hispanic female. My high school doesn’t give out rankings. My GPA is a 3.75/4.33 unweighted. I received an 800 on my physics two subject test and a 770 On my math level 2 I received 1560, 800 on math 760 on reading. I am concerned because the first semester of my junior year I received a C in calculus however the second semester I received an A+ and I received a five on the AP test. For my extracurriculars I have been on varsity swim all year’s except for my freshman year of high school. I qualified for state and a coaches invite meet. At my school I was one of the founders of the girl up club at my school we later ran an initiative run by me and raised money for refugee girls to attend school we raise $35,000. I also planned an event and ran another initiative for an arts program that I used to participate in that is really prominently known in my town and state. We are predicted to raise $100,000 for the arts program and for the program I participated in. I also volunteer at Judy’s House which is a place for grieving kids that I’ve lost parents to cancer that I started Helping at after I found out my dad was diagnosed with a treatable cancer. I also am a part of Special Olympics where I help kids with disabilities play sports such as soccer. I am also the Head of social media for my schools diversity action group. I also did a science project that I created a windtunnel with different wing designs to see which wings had the best lift and velocity, to see which would need less fuel to fly a greater distance. One of the judges which is an engineer from NASA and I received first place and recognition from NASA. The summer before my junior year I went to Cornell Summer college and took a course received an A- I went back The summer before my senior year and took the engineering course received an A in both my courses that I took. I also received a recommendation letter from my professor from my course the summer before my junior year and my family is friends with one of the professors at the engineering school who also wrote me a recommendation letter. I believe the recommendation letters from my school are very strong my teachers know me well. I have also worked with a special college counselor on my essays and I think that they are also very good. I am just worried that I will be rejected because I received a C for semester of my junior year. I also participated in an internship that was paid with engineers.
Other AP scores
5 physics 1
5 AP Microeconomics (self study didn’t take a class)
5 on AP calculus ab
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are my admission chances

• izrk02izrk02 518 replies19 threads Member
    Cornell is a reach for anyone, but you have good chances. You've shown interest in the subject matter and have good stats. I'll be blunt, being an URM is going to help you a ton. I don't think it'l be an automatic rejection because of the C, but it might turn some heads since it's in calc and you plan on doing STEM. You might not want to apply early since the most recent grades they'll see are from junior year.
    · Reply · Share
  • BrunerJuBrunerJu 4 replies2 threads New Member
    Second semester all As and A+ also predicted to take 11 AP courses by graduation
    · Reply · Share
  • StanleyCup2018StanleyCup2018 21 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I think the second semester grade after the C will alleviate any concerns.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2827 replies65 threads Senior Member
    I think you are a strong candidate and URM status will help you. You turned the C around nicely and in two ways (an A for the second semester and perfect score on the AP), so I don't see that holding you back. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1526 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Wouldn't be worried about the C. If Cornell is your first choice, ED is the right way to go unless you are concerned about FA. Have match and safety backups, but you have a strong app especially as female STEM URM.
    · Reply · Share
    You definitely made up for the C with your second semester. I take back what I said about applying ED, go for it!
    · Reply · Share
  • IvehadenufIvehadenuf 12 replies2 threads New Member
    ED has already happened for 2024
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 4
    @Ivehadenuf That's odd. OP, are you a junior or senior because Cornell only has ED1 and decisions have already come out.
    edited January 4
    · Reply · Share
    this is For class of 2025
    · Reply · Share
    Some of this is hypothetical only the grades sat scores are set and some ap scores
    · Reply · Share
    Are you taking a gap year? Are you a senior or a junior? Based off the original post you sound like a senior.
    · Reply · Share
  • IvehadenufIvehadenuf 12 replies2 threads New Member
    Crickets.
    Are you still on @BrunerJu?
    · Reply · Share