right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
2 DAYS until our "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. Ask your question NOW if you are a registered member!

Need advice

AnonymouschemistAnonymouschemist 0 replies2 threads New Member
Hello there,
I have completed my Msc in chemistry last year from a reputed institute with overall cgpa 8.5. i want to try for phd abroad in chemical biology. But i don't know how to proceed.
During my Msc , i had a project on computational chemistry. So i don't have any experience on working in a organic lab except the Msc ORGANIC lab session and one summer internship during Bachelors.My relationship with my Msc thesis guide was not good. His area of expertise was experimental chemistry , i was the first student in the lab who was going two work on a computational project. I somehow started doing the project, I did the calculations but could never understand why I am using this particular methods, i mean i couldn't understand the related theory.

I worked with him for two semesters.The first semester was little bit okay. I didn't have much results but my guide was good to me till then. But in the second semester when i told him that i do not want to join him as a phd student, his behavior towards me totally changed.

First, i was not able to understand the project clearly, i wasn't even sure if what i am doing is right or not, ( my guide only instructed me what to do, he didn't know how to do it). I wasn't getting help from the phd students either. This really broke my motivation. I couldn't concentrate either on my project-work or coursework.I couldn't find any interest in that project. I wrote my msc thesis very badly and some parts of it are copied from other thesis(only theoretical background not result). I got B grade in my project work(which is the average grade.)

I want to know how much weightage does the msc thesis work carry while applying for phd abroad?

Could anyone here doing phd in chemistry from abroad give me suggestion, plz.
0 replies
· Reply · Share