Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Kirk Douglas died

• AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3162 replies47 threads Senior Member
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15253 replies1033 threads Senior Member
    Kirk Douglas, the actor.
    · Reply · Share
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3162 replies47 threads Senior Member
    Thanks. I was going to post "beam me up, Scotty," but ... wrong Kirk. RIP Mr. Douglas. You had a good long run.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 9574 replies119 threads Senior Member
    According to write-ups, he was an undefeated collegiate wrestler at St. Lawrence University in New York state. Of course, this was before he changed his name to Kirk Douglas from his Russian birth name.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 4774 replies18 threads Senior Member
    One of my favorite characters in the movie Airplane.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2050 replies14 threads Senior Member
    It's good to remember that, when he started his film career, he had to hide the fact the he was Jewish from the public. While today Mayim Bialik or Michelle Trachtenberg can use the name with which they were born, and have any part for which they are suited, until the 1960s and 1970s, if you wanted to be Jewish in Hollywood, you couldn't actually BE Jewish, unless you wanted to be typecast as a character actor, usually in a comedic role. The American public wouldn't flock to movies if the leading lady was Betty Perske, Hedwig Kiesler, Sári Gábor, or Shirley Schrift. While it was easier for the men, would believe that Bernard Schwartz would be a romantic lead, or that Issur Danielovich is the name that would bring to mind the star of many an action blockbuster.

May his soul be bound up in the bond of eternal life.

· Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1984 replies27 threads Senior Member
    I believe the newest and very beautiful dorm at St. Lawrence was donated by him.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8449 replies215 threads Senior Member
    a already deadI don't know if I am being disrespectful if I say this. I was surprised to read the news this morning. I thought he had passed sometime ago..
    · Reply · Share
    Kirk Douglas has made recent appearances on TV (within the past year if I recall correctly).

I know Superman's nickname is The Man of Steel, but it might be more appropriate for Kirk Douglas.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 40482 replies7519 threads Super Moderator
    Publisher wrote: »
    Kirk Douglas has made recent appearances on TV (within the past year if I recall correctly).

You don't recall correctly. He has not appeared on TV in years, and his last appearance in public was 2 years ago when Michael received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

But an amazing career and a long life. May he rest in peace.
    · Reply · Share
    Then it was a newsclip of a prior appearance. Either way, great career.
    · Reply · Share
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington 8878 replies476 threads Senior Member
    My favorite Kirk Douglas movies: Lonely are the Brave and Seven Days in May. Loved him as Doc Holiday in Gunfight at O.K. Coral.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17365 replies163 threads Senior Member
    Hmm, I don't think I'd want to live to be 103, unless I was some sort of miracle of vitality.

RIP. From all accounts, it seems he had an amazing life.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13223 replies35 threads Senior Member
    Sad to here this.
    · Reply · Share