right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How can I improve non verbal communications?

jessicarobinsonjessicarobinson 0 replies1 threads New Member
Could anyone help me?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How can I improve non verbal communications?

• StevemartinStevemartin 1 replies0 threads New Member
    edited May 8
    You have to establish a strong connection with the ones to gain proper attention from them. This can be initiated by means of effective communication. You need to have an appropriate combination of both verbal and non-verbal means of communication to connect with the people effectively. Therefore, you have to inculcate a strong body language as it is known to be the most influential means of non-verbal communication which you can utilize while communicating.
    edited May 8
    Post edited by Lindagaf on
    · Reply · Share
  • selfcontrolselfcontrol 19 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Here's a simple mnemonic to remember effective body language that will make the other person more comfortable and open to communication:

SOFTEN
    S - Smile
    O - Open up your posture (no crossing arms, etc)
    F - Forward lean
    T - Touch by shaking hands
    E - Eye contact
    N - Nod when the other person talks
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2602 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Excellent suggestions above. I find being an active listener (harder than it sounds) helps accomplish many of these. When you are really engaged, you naturally make eye contact, lean in, show emotion, etc.

Focus on really paying attention to someone when they speak. No phone distractions. Just be totally present. It takes practice but makes a huge difference.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    Thankfully no one has suggested a face tatoo or carrying firearms as an effective means of non-verbal communication.
    · Reply · Share