Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

Polygamy: why is it illegal?

scorpscorp Registered User Posts: 994 Member
edited August 2006 in College Confidential Cafe
Assuming all the women in the marriage are of age, and there is consent, why isn't polygamy legal? Judaism, Islam and, apparently, some sects of Christianity consider it to not be contrary to their beliefs. If two men consent to marry each other and everyone cries that they should be allowed to, then certainly two or more consenting women and one male should be allowed to aswell. It seems to me that this maybe a) a restriction on religious rights and b) the imposement of one group's religious beliefs on others.

(Please, keep recent current events out of this discussion, as they involved serious abuse of minors, hypocrocy, etc and are not relevant here.)
Post edited by scorp on

Replies to: Polygamy: why is it illegal?

• razorsharprazorsharp Registered User Posts: 6,161 Senior Member
    I must say I am glad there is someone else in this World who can apply logical analysis to varying circumstances. If States are going to limit marriage to between two people, then surely States can say marriage can be only between one man and one woman. Thus, gays are out of luck.

The problem arises when gays say they are entitled (they have a right) to marry. Under the gay view of marriage, it should be between two men or two women as well as one man and one woman. Gay supporters still want to limit marriage to two people. There is no logic to support limiting marriage to two people (if you are willing to expand marriage to two men or two women).

Why do I say this? Because the argument in favor of expanding marriage to two men is because that is what the two men wish to do. They love each other and wish to spend their lives together as a family unit. If you agree with this argument to expand marriage to include gays, then the same argument applies to polygamy.

A man and his three wives love each other and wish to spend their lives together as a family unit. Thus, they should be permitted to marry using the same logic used by those supporting gay marriage.
  • hobofromdowntownhobofromdowntown Registered User Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    i want some concubines.
  • scorpscorp Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    It's not about concubines. It's about one man loving two or more women and the women loving the same man and are willing to live with each other and to help each other raise children together.
  • the_prestigethe_prestige Registered User Posts: 2,185 Senior Member
    apparently not many of you have ever been married.

one spouse is enough to drive anyone nuts - why double or triple the risk of going crazy? it should be illegal but not because it's immoral - it should be outlawed because multiple spouses is just cruel and unusual punishment that no person should ever endure.
  • mikenthemaddog66mikenthemaddog66 Registered User Posts: 2,680 Senior Member
    Womens Rights Movement
  • katho11katho11 Registered User Posts: 1,533 Senior Member
    Why do the women not get multiple husbands? Why not in this multiple spouse arrangement also allow women to marry other women and men to marry other men?

It's not like people can't arrange this already. They can't legally marry, sure, but nothing says they can't live a polygamist lifestyle on their own. Hm...I wonder why people don't do that? ::rolls eyes::

Allowing full out polygamy would do nothing more than put even more money in lawyers' pockets.

This thread is stupid.
  • joevjoev - Posts: 2,924 Senior Member
    Woman tend to nag, A LOT. People think that having seven wives would be like living in the Playboy Mansion or something. People forget that women quit having sex after marriage (or so I am told) so this would be a stupid reason to get married multiple times. Now having seven girlfriends who leave when you want them to would be totally sweet.
  • current_studentcurrent_student Registered User Posts: 913 Member
    ^isn't most polygamy due to religious reasons that include women needing have 2904 children by their husband? so basically he gets all the sex he wants. eh, who cares.
  • fudgemasterfudgemaster Registered User Posts: 836 Member
    The reason is that it is socially unacceptable. There is no physical law that prevents polygamy.

Also, I have heard that polygamy is often associated with domestic violence.
  • katho11katho11 Registered User Posts: 1,533 Senior Member
    I'd sure be more likely to be violent towards my husband if he had the grand idea of marrying another woman. No doubt about it.
    fudge,

i agree on the domestic violence. and rape and molestation. but according to the OP we can't bring that up. haha. i saw this special on amish people yesterday. some girl was raped by her 3 brothers and father and she told her mom but the mom ignored her. so she left the town and came back wired for the police and got them to confess. and then when they arrested the guys they all plead guilty and didn't lie b/c it's against thier beliefs. haha. so they can rape people but they can't lie. anyway, the whole amish town went to their trials and cried for the brothers, not for the raped girl. it was pretty weird, and interesting. this was a special that included the mormon guy who just got caught too.
    ^what the ****?
  • jPoDjPoD - Posts: 2,524 Senior Member
    I dont think Polygamy is accepted in Judaism bro. I say that with a good bit of knowledge.
    ^yeah i had never heard of that either. but i don't have that good of knowledge in the judaism dept. so i wait for people who do (ie you) to confirm this and then i say i agree.
  • KissMeKateKissMeKate Registered User Posts: 1,241 Member
    Troy24, do you expect me to read that?
This discussion has been closed.