Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Business and Politics Thread: Is 'Made in China' under threat?

JIMMY@KILLARNEY[email protected] Registered User Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
edited August 2007 in College Confidential Cafe
Safety fears in the US have recently prompted the recall of a host of Chinese-made products, including toothpaste, pet food and toys. Is the growing suspicion towards the quality of Chinese products justified?

In the latest move in a growing row over product safety, Beijing has accused the US of exporting sub-standard soya beans to China.

Eearlier this week New Zealand issued a warning about Chinese-made clothes containing dangerous levels of a chemical that can cause cancer.

Chinese officials have defended the quality of Chinese products saying that there is a new trend in trade protectionism.

There are similar debates going on right now on BBC World and other major media channels. Response rate to this heated issue has been unusually high around the globe. What do you think? Is the growing suspicion (and calls for worldwide boycotts as well as other more extreme political actions) towards Chinese-made products justified?
Post edited by [email protected] on

Replies to: Business and Politics Thread: Is 'Made in China' under threat?

• PKswmr76PKswmr76 Registered User Posts: 1,669 Senior Member
    "Is the growing suspicion towards the quality of Chinese products justified?"

-YES! So many products exported by China to other countries contain toxic materials that have the potential to harm consumers. The Chinese government clearly is not as strict is it ought to be. Although their policies seem to be getting better, the government in my opinion is not doing enough to maintain high quality products and protect consumers from harm.
  • JIMMY@KILLARNEY[email protected] Registered User Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
    Well said. However, is it really necessary to expose/exaggerate this matter so much that every single day, there's always a new "breaking news" or "special report" on how dangerous Made-in-China products are. I've never seen such publicity when Japanese-made laptop batteries caught on fire and exploded in various occasions around the world (some users even sustaining serious injuries from these incidents...). After all, initially, this seems to be a usual, everyday commercial dispute, but somehow, somebody just liked to poke it around and eventually made it all the way to the United States Senate, suddenly turning this simple issue into a complex political struggle. Yes, I remember, the term "China-bashing" is what they use nowadays in Congress, simply to divert our attention away from more "serious" matters... hmm... like the complete disaster in Iraq and the middle east, for instance? Very interesting.
  • PKswmr76PKswmr76 Registered User Posts: 1,669 Senior Member
    I think it has a lot to do with how dependent the US has become on Chinese exports. With the amount of products coming from China into the USA, people want to ensure quality. The products that were contaminated by lead paint or whatever, are bought by many people here. The Japanese-made laptop batteries I think affect a smaller group of people.

I'm just speculating and could be completely wrong/ignorant...
  • yuccayucca Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    not justified all the time.
  • jets91jets91 Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    Why do you think it is not justified all the time? Is the USA just making accusations for fun? Harmful products = no big deal?
  • yuccayucca Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    it's justified to control the quality and safety of products(all the products,no matter whether it's made in china or somewhere else).

Anyway,do other Asian countries produce harmful products?Does US also produce harmful products?

The government should simply control the quality and safety of exported products,not emphasize how dangerous China-made products are.

Bnd sometimes,US government may claim that some products are dangerous which are actually not for trade protection purpose.You know,even if China-made products are of high quality and safe,US government still doesn't want tons of China-made products.(I've no evidence to support it,what I said may be wrong,but it's pretty possible because US government has more than one reason to control china-made products)
  • LongdaysaheadLongdaysahead Registered User Posts: 327 Junior Member
    "Chinese officials have defended the quality of Chinese products saying that there is a new trend in trade protectionism. "

Translation: Our goods have always been like this, you've only started the media frenzy recently because we're eating into your market share.
This discussion has been closed.