Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Doesn't it seem like atheists are always angry?

yuwmicyuwmic Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
edited September 2007 in College Confidential Cafe
how come? When I watch debates, atheists always seem angry, offputting, cynical, etc. like somebody wronged them. am i being too stereotypical?
Post edited by yuwmic on

Replies to: Doesn't it seem like atheists are always angry?

• hotpiece101hotpiece101 Registered User Posts: 4,042 Senior Member
    if you categorize an entire group as acting one way, then yeah, you're being too stereotypical
  • IlikeDiceIlikeDice Registered User Posts: 578 Member
    Haven't you heard the saying that intellectual people are never happy? That they always see the worst in everything because they are typically the most realistic? While the intellectual part might not be included in some cases for atheists, they've basically settled for themselves that nothing will happen when you die.

If you ask me, that's a very cynical thing to settle upon.
  • TheVeganActressTheVeganActress Registered User Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    doesn't it seem like christians always refuse to discuss religion?
    they tell you they believe it and that's as far as they'll go.

I really don't think I'm always angry though.
    Cynical, sometimes. but I can discuss religion and things without being angry and cynical.
    I really think that's far to general of a statement.
  • 1of421of42 - Posts: 2,443 Senior Member
    Of course atheists often seem off-putting and cynical. Given that this forum is primarily for American colleges, I'll assume that you're largely talking about American atheists, and pose a question: wouldn't you often be off-putting if you were the statistically most maligned minority in the country?

Or, another one: wouldn't you be irritated if your points were always dismissed by a refrain of "Yes, that argument is nice, but this is just the way it is. Why? Because [a priest, a holy book, God, etc.] said so. For what reason is that valid? Oh, it just is."
  • fizix2fizix2 Registered User Posts: 3,570 Senior Member
    I'm an atheist, and I'm happy!
    Though that might have something to do with my current >100k-point nethack game.
    wouldn't you often be off-putting if you were the statistically most maligned minority in the country?

Random interesting fact: nonreligious people comprise 16% of world populations, but only 3% of Americans. The "nonreligious" category is the third-largest in the world!
  • intotherainintotherain - Posts: 384 Member
    they r not. ur just judgmntl
  • InquilineKeaInquilineKea - Posts: 2,309 Member
    It's actually interesting - this forum is > 50% atheist/agnostic, as shown by a "what's your religion" poll a number of months ago. Scientists (in the top 21 research universities at least) are also > 50% atheist/agnostic, as shown in a recent 2007 survey (don't have time to cite now). I know a couple of other forums with plurality atheist/agnostic populations (though those forums have more Europeans on them)

But remember that long ago - people never had organized religion. Religion seems to be a social construct that ingeniously dupes human nature - (a) human nature's propensity towards cognitive biases and (b) human nature's propensity to act as according to crowd mentality
  • SilvaRuaSilvaRua Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    I used to be an atheist. Then, during my early teenage years, I became agnostic. More recently, I've become a Theist, believing in some type of "original creator".
    Religion seems to be a social construct that ingeniously dupes human nature - (a) human nature's propensity towards cognitive biases and (b) human nature's propensity to act as according to crowd mentality

I take it you don't know many science or math students? Many of them, including some of the most brilliant people I've ever met, would find this statement extremely offensive.

Hell, I don't even believe in organized religion, and I STILL find it very offensive. Many individuals turn to religion in their later years, without any discernible cause. Many devout Muslims or Christians are the offspring of agnostics/atheists. If nothing else, believing in religion gives people hope, a solid set of moral rules, and an inner strength to continue working their way through life.

Believe it or not simfish, being an atheist/agnostic does not make you any cooler or more enlightened than anyone who believes strongly in religion.
  • mj93mj93 - Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    Doesn't it seem like Christians are always trying to prove something?
  • rockermcrrockermcr Registered User Posts: 14,670 Senior Member
    This is kind of fun. Let's open up another can of worms. What is it with gay marriage?!
  • Tyler09Tyler09 Registered User Posts: 2,768 Senior Member
    Hey, everybody's gotta believe in something in order to be happy.

For some its god, for some its love or something.

The cynical ones are the people who don't believe in anything.
  • friedricefriedrice Registered User Posts: 1,280 Senior Member
    Screw you all! &*%$#*!
    Doesn't it seem like Muslims are always quiet?

Doesn't it seem like Jews are always in the cool crowd?

Doesn't it seem like agnostics are always liberal?

Doesn't it seem like Americans are always fat?

Doesn't it seem like all west coast females get boob jobs?

Doesn't it seem like Puerto Ricans are always beautiful?

This whole thread is a joke.
    "Religion is the opium of the people" --Marx
  • rockermcrrockermcr Registered User Posts: 14,670 Senior Member
    ^ You're really cool. I'm actually not being sarcastic.
This discussion has been closed.