Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Facebook - why do you talk with someone on his wall, instead of over PM?

13»

Replies to: Facebook - why do you talk with someone on his wall, instead of over PM?

• LesOsLesOs Registered User Posts: 4,545 Senior Member
    A message that would just as easily be exchanged over PM/e-mail.
    Isn't that contrary to what you've been arguing this entire time? That matters that would be discussed in emails SHOULDN'T be posted on Facebook walls?
  • InquilineKeaInquilineKea - Posts: 2,309 Member
    Isn't that contrary to what you've been arguing this entire time? That matters that would be discussed in emails SHOULDN'T be posted on Facebook walls?

I wasn't arguing that they SHOULDN'T be posted on Facebook walls - I was inquiring why they are posted on facebook walls even when the rational agent is sometimes better off exchanging such info via personal messages. (by means of a Devil's Advocate argument - that was my intention - I should have been more explicit about it)

By the way, I often make inquiries of people's attitudes/behaviors by means of null hypotheses/devil's advocate - this has the tendency to provoke the most direct responses to the object of my curiosity
  • qswerier43qswerier43 Registered User Posts: 3,804 Senior Member
    small tip: try to ask it around in Facebook where u'll find 'more' Facebookers. :p
  • mrusermruser Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    clearly, the justification for posting in a public wall type forum is to show off, as I illustrate in a wall post to my friend jim from a couple months ago on this topic:
    is the point of jim's wall to write something for jim to read? or is the point to write something for jim to read and have everyone read it too?

while you [the reader] are thinking about that one...

---
    jim-
    thanks for the working lunch today. hopefully we'll run into mischa barton again. that was pretty random...
  • War ChantWar Chant Registered User Posts: 2,341 Senior Member
    I discuss my private matters on AIM...my wall is only for posts that I don't care if people read.
  • California-BoltCalifornia-Bolt Registered User Posts: 1,025 Senior Member
    If its a private matter, I'll do so in person or on the phone. My friends and I just write a bunch of inside jokes and stuff like that on eachothers walls.
  • Big Brother 1984Big Brother 1984 . Posts: 648 Member
    There also this one guy who just stopped responding to my e-mails once he took over my facebook wall

Oh wow, thanks a lot IK.
  • InquilineKeaInquilineKea - Posts: 2,309 Member
    Quote:
    A message that would just as easily be exchanged over PM/e-mail.

Actually it was - sorry - I was drowsy and non-alert (and fell asleep soon afterwards) [my response was an automatic response that I tend to repeat subconsciously]. Okay, what I would consider "acceptable" by means of such argument is a message that was intended to be read by (a) other people or (b) a message that was intended to boost one's wall count. Seeing that most wall posts don't seem to be (a) or (b), my original question was why people post on walls when (a) or (b) don't apply.
    Oh wow, thanks a lot IK.

Lawl. :p But you refuse to let me befriend fellow CCers due to your wall posts. ^_^
    Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I post superfluous amounts of messages on your wall. Although I also do a lot of Facebook PMing, I think this is an interesting psychological question to ask. My guess is that wall posting is seemingly less of a hassle and perceivably "easier" to do than specifying directly a person in emails/private messages. Nevertheless, wall posting seems to have taken up a lot of my daily mind share lately - so email just seems to be one of those seemingly less efficient, slower ways of doing things.
    Lawl. But you refuse to let me befriend fellow CCers due to your wall posts. ^_^

I could really care less who you befriend. I was always just more careful about adding random people with whom you have little knowledge of in real life. Plus, some of these f***ers could come back to bite you in the ass.
  • fizix2fizix2 Registered User Posts: 3,570 Senior Member
    Plus, some of these f***ers could come back to bite you in the ass.

If they care enough.
    Most don't. :D
13»
This discussion has been closed.