Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Facebook - why do you talk with someone on his wall, instead of over PM?

InquilineKeaInquilineKea - Posts: 2,309 Member
edited August 2007 in College Confidential Cafe
I dunno - it seems that A LOT of people prefer discussing matters of private importance on each other's walls, instead of each other's PMs. Most messages between people are in fact wall-messages instead of private messages. Why do you prefer that? Do you really want everyone to see your wall posts? I mean, if you were given the choice EXPLICITLY, wouldn't you say that you probably wouldn't want everyone to see them?

As for me though, I don't really care. I like posting my thoughts publicly.
Post edited by InquilineKea on

Replies to: Facebook - why do you talk with someone on his wall, instead of over PM?

• yuccayucca Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    er...am I the only one who doesn't use facebook?
  • rockermcrrockermcr Registered User Posts: 14,670 Senior Member
    Yes. /*10char*/
  • LesOsLesOs Registered User Posts: 4,545 Senior Member
    I resisted as long as I could, but I now have a Facebook.

I don't think that people discuss private matters on their walls... I usually just post silly things on my friends' walls. I discuss "real" things with them through PMs. Actually, with my really good friends, I PM them more than I write on their walls. Because having five paragraph discussions on walls just doesn't work!
  • fizix2fizix2 Registered User Posts: 3,570 Senior Member
    Facebook - why do you talk with someone on his wall, instead of over PM?

Because to some, wall posts are an indication of popularity.
    Because having five paragraph discussions on walls just doesn't work!

I agree. :D
  • qswerier43qswerier43 Registered User Posts: 3,804 Senior Member
    haha, I wondered abt it, but I rather look at two of them as: wall is for not emergency or just regular casual stuffs, while PM might possibly be urgent or too personal. Like the other day, one dude PMed me regarding what book to use for SAT....so, it DOES make sense to PM at this point right? He wudn't want others to see that info! :p
  • InquilineKeaInquilineKea - Posts: 2,309 Member
    But apparently - people do post things on facebook that would otherwise be relegated to 1-1 discussions. I've seen this for numerous people. There also this one guy who just stopped responding to my e-mails once he took over my facebook wall
  • VailVail Registered User Posts: 378 Junior Member
    er...am I the only one who doesn't use facebook?

No, I don't use it either. In a group of about oh, 30 something people, I was the only one who didn't have an account.

I prefer message boards as a form of I-net communication, and more importantly, my anonymity.
  • mj93mj93 - Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    I had one for a week and then deleted it.
  • snagpointsnagpoint Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    You look real sweet.
    People prefer writing on walls because popularity is synonymous with 2125137807234074215437297923 wall posts.
    Wow, I must be reallllly popular, because I have 2125137807234074215437297924 wall posts!
    :O You should start a religion. Where people worship you.
  • InquilineKeaInquilineKea - Posts: 2,309 Member
    I highly doubt people care that much about facebook wall popularity (certainly not to the point where it influences their decisions to post on each other's walls rather than through e-mails).

After all, those same people don't go around adding random people to their facebook friends.
    ^They do. Trust me.
    You're right. A Facebook wall doesn't cause popularity, but I think that a wall like LesOs' correlates with popularity.
This discussion has been closed.