Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: This is why I never want to marry

• yuccayucca Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    I don't understand...do you want to live alone when you are very old?
  • VailVail Registered User Posts: 378 Junior Member
    It's better than living the rest of your live paying child support for a kid you don't get to see (or better yet, one who might not even be yours! paternity tests mean nothing in some areas). Not to mention the loss of your house, your cars, half (or more) of the cash in your bank account, etc etc.
  • sevitagensevitagen Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    the third picture doesn't look that bad. i don't understand your point, everybody gets old. it's good to have somebody with you.
  • VailVail Registered User Posts: 378 Junior Member
    it's good to have somebody with you.

Exactly, but with
    50%: Divorce

That's probably not going to be happening. BTW, my first post was in response to yucca's, I agree with InquilineKea about not marrying. Although the 50% divorce rate is just one of several reasons why I don't think its worth the bother anymore.

Anyway, what are those pictures about? Are those supposed to be famous people or something that I don't know?
  • PhedrePhedre Registered User Posts: 304 Junior Member
    Just because you might get divorced doesn't mean you shouldn't try marriage. Because you might get divorced at the right time. Divorce does not equal misery and the collapse of the universe, or even a failed marriage. It just means that you need to move on. Plus, you might not get divorced, you don't need to base your life on statistics. PLUS, the people in the third link look good for their age. Actually they look good, period.
  • pramirez184pramirez184 Registered User Posts: 1,198 Senior Member
    based on the pictures it just seems like you dont want to get old
  • InquilineKeaInquilineKea - Posts: 2,309 Member
    It's also a sarcastic criticism of those who marry other people for their "looks".

"OMGLOL LEZ GROW OLD TOGETHER!!111oneone" How exciting can that be? hm.

though obviously there are rational reasons for marriage - especially when you ARE old and when no one understands you as well as your marraige partner does.

It's also a sarcastic comment directed at myself (based on my connotative reactions to such images). I have a really immature brain...

more pix:
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ffximage/2007/08/29/larrycraig_wideweb__470x314,0.jpg
  • ad.bcad.bc Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    aww i think its sweet that they still like eachother after all those years

id think you'd use them as a reason for you you SHOULD get married, because even though they're old and unattractive they're still happy together
    i mean when you're young, you can get people because you look good but when you're old i think they're pretty much just with you because they like being with you
    ...or maybe out of habit
    lawl it still looks so boring. besides, in marriages you like have to inform the partner of EVERYTHING about you. I dunno, I would feel so constrained in a marriage, having to travel with someone everywhere I go
  • rockermcrrockermcr Registered User Posts: 14,670 Senior Member
    aww i think its sweet that they still like eachother after all those years

They got married last month in Vegas.
  • snagpointsnagpoint Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    thank you for voicing your important opinions on marriage, inquilinekea
  • KissMeKateKissMeKate Registered User Posts: 1,241 Member
    What source did the 50% divorce statistic come from?
  • LesOsLesOs Registered User Posts: 4,545 Senior Member
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to grow old with somebody.
    And marriage doesn't necessarily have to be the way that you envision it, Inquiline!
    hint: don't take anything i say too seriously
    I like acting emo online. :D
  • IBProcrastinatorIBProcrastinator Registered User Posts: 571 Member
    I think you're just pessimistic, 50% divorce also implies that 50% of marriages last, that doesn't mean there's no chance! I certainly wouldn't give up hope yet!
This discussion has been closed.