right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

This is why I never want to marry

InquilineKeaInquilineKea 1796 replies513 threads- Senior Member
edited August 2007 in College Confidential Cafe

Replies to: This is why I never want to marry

• yuccayucca 951 replies20 threads Member
    I don't understand...do you want to live alone when you are very old?
    · Reply · Share
  • VailVail 376 replies2 threads Junior Member
    It's better than living the rest of your live paying child support for a kid you don't get to see (or better yet, one who might not even be yours! paternity tests mean nothing in some areas). Not to mention the loss of your house, your cars, half (or more) of the cash in your bank account, etc etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • sevitagensevitagen 867 replies13 threads Member
    the third picture doesn't look that bad. i don't understand your point, everybody gets old. it's good to have somebody with you.
    · Reply · Share
  • VailVail 376 replies2 threads Junior Member
    it's good to have somebody with you.

Exactly, but with
    50%: Divorce

That's probably not going to be happening. BTW, my first post was in response to yucca's, I agree with InquilineKea about not marrying. Although the 50% divorce rate is just one of several reasons why I don't think its worth the bother anymore.

Anyway, what are those pictures about? Are those supposed to be famous people or something that I don't know?
    · Reply · Share
  • PhedrePhedre 299 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Just because you might get divorced doesn't mean you shouldn't try marriage. Because you might get divorced at the right time. Divorce does not equal misery and the collapse of the universe, or even a failed marriage. It just means that you need to move on. Plus, you might not get divorced, you don't need to base your life on statistics. PLUS, the people in the third link look good for their age. Actually they look good, period.
    · Reply · Share
  • pramirez184pramirez184 1171 replies27 threads Senior Member
    based on the pictures it just seems like you dont want to get old
    · Reply · Share
  • InquilineKeaInquilineKea 1796 replies513 threads- Senior Member
    It's also a sarcastic criticism of those who marry other people for their "looks".

"OMGLOL LEZ GROW OLD TOGETHER!!111oneone" How exciting can that be? hm.

though obviously there are rational reasons for marriage - especially when you ARE old and when no one understands you as well as your marraige partner does.

It's also a sarcastic comment directed at myself (based on my connotative reactions to such images). I have a really immature brain...

more pix:
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ffximage/2007/08/29/larrycraig_wideweb__470x314,0.jpg
    · Reply · Share
  • ad.bcad.bc 650 replies50 threads Member
    aww i think its sweet that they still like eachother after all those years

id think you'd use them as a reason for you you SHOULD get married, because even though they're old and unattractive they're still happy together
    i mean when you're young, you can get people because you look good but when you're old i think they're pretty much just with you because they like being with you
    ...or maybe out of habit
    · Reply · Share
    lawl it still looks so boring. besides, in marriages you like have to inform the partner of EVERYTHING about you. I dunno, I would feel so constrained in a marriage, having to travel with someone everywhere I go
    · Reply · Share
  • rockermcrrockermcr 14567 replies103 threads Senior Member
    aww i think its sweet that they still like eachother after all those years

They got married last month in Vegas.
    · Reply · Share
  • snagpointsnagpoint 18 replies0 threads New Member
    thank you for voicing your important opinions on marriage, inquilinekea
    · Reply · Share
  • KissMeKateKissMeKate 1056 replies185 threads Member
    What source did the 50% divorce statistic come from?
    · Reply · Share
  • LesOsLesOs 4525 replies20 threads Senior Member
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to grow old with somebody.
    And marriage doesn't necessarily have to be the way that you envision it, Inquiline!
    · Reply · Share
    hint: don't take anything i say too seriously
    I like acting emo online. :D
    · Reply · Share
  • IBProcrastinatorIBProcrastinator 547 replies24 threads Member
    I think you're just pessimistic, 50% divorce also implies that 50% of marriages last, that doesn't mean there's no chance! I certainly wouldn't give up hope yet!
    · Reply · Share
  • katho11katho11 1526 replies7 threads Senior Member
    Just because the divorce rate is a certain number doesn't mean your chances at making YOUR marriage work is the same.

There are many people who are very good together and care enough about one another to make things work.

Then there are the ones who either can't or aren't willing to make things work.

Which group you happen to fall into depends entirely on you and your partner...not everyone else. So stop being such a baby about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • plot93plot93 116 replies22 threads Junior Member
    In response to what someone said, I just wanted to point out that not marrying does not necessarily mean living alone. Some people live with friends, with a sibling, or with a companion. Because of my religious beliefs, I would not recommend cohabitating, but many people do. You could also live with a companion in a non-sexual relationship. More and more people are opting for nontraditional living choices. It seems marriage in general is becoming less popular.
    · Reply · Share
  • vio888vio888 9 replies2 threads New Member
    I'm married and I'm miserable. Take my advice and never get married. Thanks!
    :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity