Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should women be eligible for a future draft?

Replies to: Should women be eligible for a future draft?

• alamodealamode Registered User Posts: 2,063 Senior Member
    but what about parents? You couldn't draft both the father and the mother....
  • 3togo3togo Registered User Posts: 5,233 Senior Member
    edited August 2007
    Don't think I don't know that; I'm an army brat. But I'm speaking from a practical point of view. Yes, non-combat positions need to be filled, but when a draft is needed, combat positions are more pressing.
    then have a physical minimum standard for the draft ... and maybe more men than women would meet the test ... but yes, IMO, both men and women should be drafted (if we have a draft)
  • Relentless355Relentless355 Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    Yes. (10 chars)
  • hec2008hec2008 Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    i was raised in a feminist household. my mother was one of the founding members of NOW. I agree that the lwa should be gender-blind, therefore if a draft happens to be reinstated women would be a part of it. I agree with the meeting a certain standard. There are lots of ways to not be drafted: school, recent parenthood, mental or physical problems. If you are not capable to fight then you shouldn't be in combat positions no matter your gender.
  • mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    hec2008: Props to your mother! I am a parent of both a daughter and a son, and I agree with NOW's position: I am totally and completely opposed to the reinstatement of the draft and have done draft counseling. However, were it to be reinstated, I would be in favor of women being drafted as well. I agree that many women would not be appropriately placed in combat situations, but when women do non-combat jobs, men are freed for combat duty. (Sniff sniff, I love my son.)

National service does not require military application.

However, I would fight for non-military solutions for policy problems, and fight for the right of young people to structure their own lives, free of governmental interference.

I must strongly state that the lives of young men are just as precious as the lives of young women. In an era of overpopulation, we certainly can't make the argument that women should be exempted because of their wombs.

As a college professor, I feel for all my students. Young men are relieved by my position and more likely to be receptive to egalitarian ideas about gender roles in response to my egalitarian ideas.
  • UnleashedFuryUnleashedFury Registered User Posts: 1,784 Member
    Conscription is totally unconstitutional, but if it were reinstated, then yes, there's no reason women should be exempt from it.
  • CoolphreakCoolphreak Registered User Posts: 483 Member
    women should be equal to men. in order to do so, they must be eligible for future drafts. otherwise, we might as well take away their rights to vote, and discriminate against them in the workplace. women worked so hard to get equal rights...obviously, they are not yet equal since they are not eligible for future drafts. i think it would be almost a waste of the effort of so many women before this time if women did not fight to be included in future drafts.
  • WabashWabash Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    who gave woman the right to vote?
  • LaxAttack09LaxAttack09 - Posts: 2,183 Senior Member
    Conscription is totally unconstitutional

So are drivers licenses....your point?
  • UnleashedFuryUnleashedFury Registered User Posts: 1,784 Member
    Driver's licenses serve more of a purpose than just ID cards.

Conscription implies that the government controls your life and can make you go to war at will. The original intent was to create a government which protected personal privacy and individual rights, not the other way around.

A license serves a much larger purpose than to simply identify you. We can't follow the constitution line by line because times change and there was no way the founding fathers could have anticipated what the US would become.

Conscription, though, is quite off and relatively unnecessary.
  • LaxAttack09LaxAttack09 - Posts: 2,183 Senior Member
    We can't follow the constitution line by line because times change and there was no way the founding fathers could have anticipated what the US would become.

Exactly the point I was trying to make....

Conscription, though, is quite off and relatively unnecessary.

conscription serves a much larger purpose then to simply control your life. The whole point of a draft is to muster troops when supplies are low. Just because something isn't laid out in the constitution doesn't make it unconstitutional in the modern sense.
  • TienIsCoolXTienIsCoolX Registered User Posts: 822 Member
    Nooooooo! For a professional army, we need quality, not quantity. A draft would be a bad idea, as for women, iono.
  • Sheed30Sheed30 Registered User Posts: 12,425 Senior Member
    wooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • TienIsCoolXTienIsCoolX Registered User Posts: 822 Member
    ^Dude, you live in the same city as me
  • ad.bcad.bc Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    if there is a draft, then women should be drafted

but i am totally against a draft. why should you be off fighting to fill some millionaires pockets. i mean its the rich people who start the wars and the poor are the ones who are left to fight it and they're brainwashed into thinking that its called 'patriotism'. if all those politicians were sending their kids to iraq then i wouldnt mind but you know what is some 19 year old with no money life to him? yeah fight to defend your country. no fight to fix the problems the stupid rich caused because of their greed.

also what if you dont like america, then why should you have to fight to 'defend' something you don't approve of.

geez make all the politicians fight it out among themselves and stop being so careless about human life.
This discussion has been closed.