Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should women be eligible for a future draft?

penhuolong_huopenhuolong_huo Registered User Posts: 33 New Member
edited March 2008 in College Confidential Cafe
*discuss* (10 chars)
Post edited by penhuolong_huo on

Replies to: Should women be eligible for a future draft?

• RabidchickensRabidchickens Registered User Posts: 408 Member
    as a guy i say yes, if its mandatory service (like public service, which could be military or non-military), right now women arent even allowed in combat roles, which i'm sure people will object to, but we have enough manpower from well men, and i dont see any need to complicate things by sending our daughters to fight when we have more than enough men (smaller countries are the ones with female combat forces, even islamist nations like Iran during the Iran-Iraq war)

i probably sound sexist, but i dont feel like articulating myself further, maybe I am, a little
  • chriscapchriscap Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    there wont ever be another draft so don't worry your little panties about it
  • Kafka89Kafka89 Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    i thought women were unequivocally equal to men? why should it be any different in the case of a draft?
  • LaxAttack09LaxAttack09 - Posts: 2,183 Senior Member
    There wont be a draft, but when I saw this thread I thought of something.

A few years ago I did a program at gtown on foreign policy over the summer. A buncha senators/govt people spoke to us and one of them was the head of NOW (National Organization of Women). I had done some reading on the organization b4 she spoke so I could be prepared for questions and I found it interesting that, though they wanted female military personel to receive hazerdous duty pay and be eligible to join the infantry if they wished...they DID NOT want females to be eligible for the draft. Since then this little tidbit of hypocracy has shaped my view of NOW
  • mj93mj93 - Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    i thought women were unequivocally equal to men? why should it be any different in the case of a draft?

well, men have more testosterone, which makes it easier to build muscle; lack of muscle would obviously be a detriment in a combat situation. sooo .. i dont know.
  • svalbardlutefisksvalbardlutefisk Registered User Posts: 691 Member
    A few years ago I did a program at gtown on foreign policy over the summer. A buncha senators/govt people spoke to us and one of them was the head of NOW (National Organization of Women). I had done some reading on the organization b4 she spoke so I could be prepared for questions and I found it interesting that, though they wanted female military personel to receive hazerdous duty pay and be eligible to join the infantry if they wished...they DID NOT want females to be eligible for the draft. Since then this little tidbit of hypocracy has shaped my view of NOW
    I don't know what the person who talked to you believed personally, but NOW's official policy (since 1980), as detailed on their website, is as follows:
    BE IT RESOLVED, that NOW opposes the reinstatement of registration and draft for both men and women. NOW's primary focus on this issue is on opposition to registration and draft. However, if we cannot stop the return to registration and draft, we also cannot choose between sisters and brothers. We oppose any registration or draft that excludes women as an unconstitutional denial of rights to both young men and women. And we continue to oppose all sex discrimination by the volunteer armed services.
    http://www.now.org/issues/military/policies/draft2.html
    That is, they oppose a draft, but if it is reinstated they believe it would be discriminatory to exclude women.
  • PhedrePhedre Registered User Posts: 304 Junior Member
    As a girl with absolutely no desire to join the military, I think if there was a draft, women should be included. It is completely unfair to men that they would have to go and women get off the hook. This is the last thing I would want to do, but fair is fair.
  • indianbasketballindianbasketball Registered User Posts: 301 Member
    i don't think so. If the girl so badly wants to join the millitray, then sure go join it. I aint really the liberal guy, i am agianst draft for women.
  • snoopyiscoolsnoopyiscool Registered User Posts: 18,082 Senior Member
    As another girl with absolutely no desire to join the army, I can tell you that putting women in the draft is logical. There are plenty of non-combat positions within the army. Then again, if there is a draft, the people they're looking for need to be in combat positions. I'm on the fence.
  • jets91jets91 Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    "Then again, if there is a draft, the people they're looking for need to be in combat positions."

-not necessarily...there's a lot more to the armed forces than big guys with guns.
  • snoopyiscoolsnoopyiscool Registered User Posts: 18,082 Senior Member
    Don't think I don't know that; I'm an army brat. But I'm speaking from a practical point of view. Yes, non-combat positions need to be filled, but when a draft is needed, combat positions are more pressing.

You know what I mean.
  • WabashWabash Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    "I thought women were unequivocally equal to men? why should it be any different in the case of a draft?"

can men have babies? no. hence men are not unequivocally equal to men.
  • apacheawsapacheaws Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I don't think women should be drafted. This is coming from someone who's been in the army for a few years. I can't think of a way to write this that won't sound extremely sexist, so I'll just leave it at this: Females that hate being in the army are the worst imaginable soldiers.
  • MannySMannyS - Posts: 385 Junior Member
    Absolutely.

As for the questions regarding strength, I recommend anabolic steroids.

It's not like they have anything to lose.

YAGEDIT?! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!

edit: they should be on the front lines too. When the enemy runs out of bullets, we go with the men.

NAYAGEDIT?
  • BIGTWIXBIGTWIX Registered User Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    not combat...but then again, isnt that against the law for women to be in active field combat, bombing, or other stuff
This discussion has been closed.