Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Too soon to get a car like Porsche?

Replies to: Too soon to get a car like Porsche?

• icy9ff8icy9ff8 - Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    Assuming that you are not on financial aid, buy whatever you want and enjoy it.
  • MBPMBP Registered User Posts: 2,509 Senior Member
    ask for 2.
    Give me the first one after you've had it for a year.
    hell, i'll even give you an air freshener if you want ;)
  • B05T0NB05T0N - Posts: 945 Member
    Boston is pretty damn bad for driving. All that aside, a car like that isnt practical in the slightest for a kid. You do anything to the car and you could mess up your insurance for life.

I see a kid driving a 6 series every day. Plenty of kids in Boston drive expensive cars. Pointless, really.
  • VisiraleVisirale Registered User Posts: 704 Member
    OP, most people don't understand cars here. A lot of frugal enviro-hippies here.

That being said 911 turbo is nice, but save it for after you graduate and you're getting an exec job. While you're in college, get something "crappy" that you can beat the hell out of and still be fast as hell with. You could get a Subaru STi or an Evo IX or X and still have just as much fun. The AWD will be nice once it starts snowing, and those cars will be a LOT more durable in "questionable" conditions.

You're a lucky kid and I envy you... I "only" have an RX8 and I feel very fortunate. Then again I go to a school where one of our kids has a $500,000 Mclaren SLR (that got booted, haha).
    lol @ crappy. I got a $30K car that I wouldnt begin to call crappy. There's no reason a kid should have an SLR. What a joke...
  • futurenyustudentfuturenyustudent Registered User Posts: 5,366 Senior Member
    I don't own a car for the same reason I don't plan on having kids, ever.....they cost too much. It's not because I'm a frugal enviro-hippie. Plus, being in Manhattan, you can walk faster than most cars move, at times.

My ideal gift has been, is and always will be cold, hard cash. That way I can go out and buy whatever the hell I want and I can take as much time as I want to decide what to buy.
  • kritamaitkritamait Registered User Posts: 41 New Member
    Yea, I wouldn't get a car in NY ... Does anyone know approximately how long does it takes until I get to drive, after I ordered(911Turbo)?
  • DeltaRoyaleDeltaRoyale Registered User Posts: 596 Member
    Don't get a used car...if you're buying the 911 there's no sense in buying a car with a potential problem just to save a little money. If you want the car, get it; if you don't want it or don't think you'll use it, don't. Most people probably think this thread is either a joke or you want to be showy, so take the advise with a grain of salt (no offense guys lol) Personally though, I wouldn't get a 911 in boston because of the increased chance it might be stolen. But that's not saying get a Hyundai either haha...just go for something a little more middle of the road maybe.
    Hyundai happens to make extremely nice looking cars.

Krita, where are you attending?
  • A-CardA-Card Registered User Posts: 786 Member
    dang you are gonna get all the ladies, u must be loaded. Drove a mercedes since 15 and now a 911 turbo.
  • Handyandy58Handyandy58 Registered User Posts: 755 Member
    You can get ladies without an expensive car. Trust me, my Buick's seats have been host to plenty a female buttocks.
  • rockermcrrockermcr Registered User Posts: 14,670 Senior Member
    ^ Anyone who says 'buttocks' must have a way with the ladies.
    I am applying to Northeastern, Suffolk, Clark, Babson, Bentley, U of Mass - Boston and another 7 but other cities. Dun think am gon get Babson n Bentley T-T.

I am not trying to be showvy or anything .. I just really like car and I happen to have a chance to drive the good one. I am a foreigner who will go to US next year and likely to be in Boston so I want to gather some information, especially abour cars =).
    You really dont need a car at Suffolk or Northeastern. I dont know where UMass-B is, but I assume you wouldnt need one. Wouldnt be bad at Clark.
    But is it possible to have one at Northeastern though? do they have a parking lot for first-year student? or they are not allow first-year student to have a car at all?
This discussion has been closed.