Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Drop minor for Summa Cum Laude?

WegmanstunaWegmanstuna Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
edited December 2009 in College Confidential Cafe
Need some quick advice. Just graduated as a double math/econ major w/ a minor in philosophy. Earned a 3.79 gpa. Cut off for Summa Cum Laude is 3.80. But my lower grades were in my philosophy courses and I have a few extra credits. So I could feasibly drop the phil minor and graduate Summa Cum Laude w/ just math/econ majors or I could graduate Magna Cum Laude w/ the minor in phil included. What should I do? What looks better? Thanks.
Post edited by Wegmanstuna on

Replies to: Drop minor for Summa Cum Laude?

• NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    Probably summa would look better to most potential employers.

You could say truthfully, however, that you graduated summa with a double math/ec major and "enough credits for a minor in philosophy."

You sound like a very interesting person. :)
  • WegmanstunaWegmanstuna Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    Thx. I already have a full-time job lined up, I'm just concerned about the mcl vs. scl for grad school in 2-3yrs time.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    I doubt if magna vs. summa would make that much difference to grad school, which would be more interested in your grades related to your grad school major.
This discussion has been closed.