Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why do people think 2010 is a new decade?

lakerforever24lakerforever24 - Posts: 887 Member
edited January 2010 in College Confidential Cafe
This is obviously offtopic, but it's pretty annoying. There was no Year 0, so the first yr of this decade started in 2001. I know it's convenient for the media to say that a new decade starts with a 0 at the end, but they should still know better.
Post edited by lakerforever24 on

Replies to: Why do people think 2010 is a new decade?

• GrannyGranny Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    It's really quite simple.

1900 through 1999 are the 1900s. 1901 through 2000 make up the 20th Century.

1920 through 1929 are the Roaring 20s. 2000 through 2009 are in the aughts or naughts of the 2000s. 2001 through 2010 make up the first decade of the 21st Century.

So, if you are talking about the naughts or aughts of the 2000s, it is a new decade. If you are talking about the second decade of the 21st century, it starts in 2011.
  • panicpanic - Posts: 966 Member
    The 70s are the 70s, the 80s are the 80s, the 90s are the 90s... It's a new decade. Quit complaining.
  • Knight_HYMKnight_HYM Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    2012, we are all being destroyed
    lol
    :D
    just kidding~
  • trumpetgrltrumpetgrl - Posts: 4,005 Senior Member
    you better be jk! I can't stand all the talk I've been hearing about that. Sorry, It has been angering me.. :/
  • starcrossedstarcrossed Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    Why do I say I'm 18 even though, if you wanna get technical, I've just started my 19th year of life? Just because that's how we do it.
  • MosbyMarionMosbyMarion Registered User Posts: 2,656 New Member
    ^But there never was a Year 0 AD! The year after 0001 BC was 0001 AD! So by your method there were only 9 years in the first decade.
  • a778999a778999 Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    The tens digit changed
  • rockermcrrockermcr Registered User Posts: 14,670 Senior Member
    Technicalities like this are really annoying. I suppose we should've celebrated the dawn of a new millennium in 2001, then, right?
  • hatersunitehatersunite - Posts: 1,189 Senior Member
    Because it is a new decade. Centuries and decades do not work in the same way.
  • AlixMRozAlixMRoz Registered User Posts: 308 Member
    2001 one was the new century.

2010 is the new decade?
  • Smallz3141Smallz3141 Registered User Posts: 2,149 Senior Member
    There was no Year 0, so the first yr of this decade started in 2001. I know it's convenient for the media to say that a new decade starts with a 0 at the end, but they should still know better.

There are many things wrong with that argument. First, there was absolutely a year 0. What do you think came before year 1AD? When someone is born, they're not immediately 1 year old. Unless you think that the universe began at the moment Christ died (...which would be paradoxical in its own right), then there was a year before before 1 AD. It would be 1 DD (day after death) then 1 WD (week after death)... 12 MD (month after death). That would all be during the year 0, by our calendar.

Secondly, a decade is a span of 10 years. There is nothing that says a decade is defined between a year ending in 0 thru a year ending in 9 (or 1 thru 0). It's simply ten years. It has been a decade since I was 11 years old, for example. Society, today, calls the period between a year ending in 0 thru a year ending in 9 a decade, which is totally valid!
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,689 Senior Member
    What do you think came before year 1AD?

On our calendar, 1 BC...

And btw... AD does not mean After Death. It means Anno Domini- before Christ.
    BC = Before Christ.
  • pacificvistapacificvista Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    2012, we are all being destroyed

Haha.

In middle school, BC= Before Color and AD = After Dark
This discussion has been closed.