right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Thanks for your understanding!

Should I get an apartment or go home for the summer.

SailorColeSailorCole 0 replies2 threads New Member
I'm new to this board and I wasn't sure where to post the question. I was just desperate to reach out and get some advice from someone.

I'll try to keep this as short as I can. I'm 19 and currently living in Freshmen dorms at college. Going to college was easy because I got to go home on the weekends and for all of my breaks. I didn't have a job to keep me from it. I also knew it was temporary and that I would go back home for the summer.

Well, about a month ago, I tried to sign up for on campus housing again next year, but they were already full when my assigned time slot came. If the upper classmen apartments are full, they usually wait for other people to drop out or they put you back in a freshman dorm. I really do not want to live in the dorms again. I got really lucky and was able to room with my best friend this year but next year, because we're both stuck in overflow housing, there's no telling who I'll be stuck with.

My mom agreed that if I were to find a job before school ended, she would let me get an apartment. I thought it was a great idea. An apartment is so much cheaper and I could save money and spend more time in my college town, which is two hours away from my family.

I found a job (my first day is tomorrow) and my mom agreed that my best friend and I (whom I was going to get an apartment with) could start looking. Well, as we were looking tonight, it really hit me that I would be moving away from home completely. To put it simply, I was/am heartbroken over it. I know everyone does it at some point, but I really didn't expect it to be this soon. Circumstances just arose that pushed me further along toward the apartment. It is a little soon, in my opinion, but at the time, I thought it was best. I still would love to stay here and work, but I can't bear the thought of really leaving home so soon. I was looking forward to spending time with my mom (who is my ultimate number one) and being home for a while before getting back in the groove of things.

I feel like getting an apartment is what I should do; I'd be working and growing up, but I don't think it's necessarily what I want to do anymore. I know I can't stay at home forever. I just didn't think I would have to leave now. At this job, I'd be working night shift so I really don't need to drive home two hours after midnight so I can't keep it AND be at home. I also wouldn't be able to visit all the time because work would keep me from getting the chance to as often as I'd like. I also don't expect many opportunities to take off a week at a time just to go home. I really would hate to quit this job that I haven't even started (it's also my first job), and I really don't want to let down my best friend or be stuck in a bad situation if I were to live on campus next year. I'm just not sure what to do. My mind tells me to grow up and get an apartment while my heart says I'm still a teenager, go home and be with your family.

I'm sorry it's so long. Please, any help would be fantastic.
0 replies
· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity