right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Here's The College Essay That Got A High School Senior Into Every Ivy League School

Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2567 threadsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
"Enin's essay examines the impact music has had on his intellectual and personal development. 'My haven for solace in and away from home is in the world of composers, harmonies, and possibilities. My musical haven has shaped my character and without it, my life would not be half as wonderful as it is today,' he writes." …

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-essay-high-school-senior-into-every-ivy-league-university-2014-4
343 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Here's The College Essay That Got A High School Senior Into Every Ivy League School

• KimberlyLailaKimberlyLaila 214 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @dsi411 Yay! lol don't mention a.a, knowing cc, it'll cause a controversial, lengthy debate ;) and that articule was pretty #boss. Where on wikepedia did ya get it?
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegiateDreamsCollegiateDreams 943 replies37 threadsRegistered User Member
    @warriordaughter‌ "Watch out for the onslaught of essays about music and personal development next app cycle... ;)"

Oh no. I thought there were already more than enough of those.
    · Reply · Share
  • dsi411dsi411 2232 replies91 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @KimberlyLaila From the Nigerian-Americans page
    · Reply · Share
  • rejnelrejnel 39 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Oh, no. That essay is poorly written and doesn't offer anything fresh or insightful. Is that really the one submitted? I notice it says "Draft #4" at the top--maybe it's just that, a draft?
    · Reply · Share
  • CHD2013CHD2013 2355 replies173 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The fact that the applicant did a good job of showing his voice and tying several activities together with a single theme may have outweighed some writing problems.
    · Reply · Share
  • SuchwowmuchcoolSuchwowmuchcool 84 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited April 2014
    good, not great, not something you would expect as something that would help his otherwise lackluster application get into every Ivy... is his family connected to somewhere higher up or something?
    edited April 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • wannabefeynmanwannabefeynman 571 replies15 threadsRegistered User Member
    @fallenchemist‌
    If they mentioned 11 AP classes, they would have mentioned an IMO gold medal. I am not at all saying he should not have been accepted - I am saying why aren't the people who are the top (not 2%) of their class not being accepted?

As for defending the mother, it's obviously a matter of personal opinion. The poster of that thread posted it to instigate some discussion, not just to look askance at her actions. I am not saying what she did was correct. If you read my post in detail, I clearly said that " I do agree, however, that the jokes should be a bit less extreme." If you can extrapolate the very least from my post, you would see that I meant that I am in support of her intention (a harmless joke), but not her actions (a rather dangerous joke).

Finally, if according to you I lost all my credibility for merely stating my opinion (which is the sole aim of this forum), then you lost all your credibility (according to me) for saying that.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity