Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

HS Class of 2015: Which Common App prompt do you plan on answering?

Replies to: HS Class of 2015: Which Common App prompt do you plan on answering?

• 430ktk430ktk Registered User Posts: 367 Member
    For those of you answering question 1, are you writing more about a specific story and how it relates to your identity or about a larger background with less of a focus on one specific event?
    So it sounds like 1 and 4 are the most popular.
  • akacesfanakacesfan Registered User Posts: 624 Member
    I'm actually surprised that more people aren't doing #2. Everyone has failed at something at least a few times in their life, so it shouldn't be that hard to find a failure you learned something from, right?
    @akacesfan‌ I think a lot of people are, or at least I was, worried that writing on that topic would probably lead to a cliche lesson: I learned never to give up, I learned it didn't matter anyways, I learned to try harder, I learned anything is possible, I learned winning isn't everything, etc. I was also a little worried that I would pick something too trivial as my failure.
  • alsa2000alsa2000 Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    2. I'm drawing a blank with the others save 3 but that'd be risky.

@430ktk do you think losing/abandoning a young child in an amusement park is a big enough failure? I learned that the right option isn't always the option I want. It also includes strong Harry Potter references and is a vacation story of sorts (I know I'm playing with fire). I used my experience as a creative writer to inject a lot of emotion into it.

@alsa2000‌ I think that could be really cool. I think the cliche topics for that prompt will be "I lost the state championship" or "I failed my driver's test." Mundane stuff like that.
  • LAMunivLAMuniv Registered User Posts: 1,504 Senior Member
    @430ktk‌ (I haven't written this essay yet, but) I'm writing how a multitude of stories have affected my identity, not just one (I want to be a curator of rare books, so I'm interpreting "stories" as "books" and talking about how they all have contributed a bit to forming who I am now).
  • alsa2000alsa2000 Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    @‌430ktk thanks, I actually just edited it a tad, slicing off unnecessary phrases and such. I also retooled the end to basically say "hey I learned this but I'm still not perfect." Gonna throw a curve ball within a curveball topic.
  • sarahkayvoigtsarahkayvoigt Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm wavering between 4 and 5 at the moment. If I can't manage to write something good for either of those prompts I have an idea in mind for 3 (it's a last resort, though, as I'm trying to avoid writing about anything religious).
  • EMPire18EMPire18 Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    I already wrote my common app essay. I wrote #1
  • miekaimiekai Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I was debating on #2 or #1.
    Non of these topics fit me, to be honest, and #1 is the closest to being it... I really live a normal life, didn't make failures worthy of writing essays, never challenged a belief... #1 is my priority right now,, and I am observing my lifestyle to help me distinguish what makes who I am.
  • Buggie111Buggie111 Registered User Posts: 582 Member
    I'm writing on 4, but a lot of it is similar to what I'd write for #1.
  • yebhipyebhip Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    I'm writing 4. I knew I wanted to write about my camp so then I found the question that fit my topic best.
  • CtesiphonCtesiphon Registered User Posts: 2,112 Senior Member
    I've written two potential essays - One where I feel "at home", and one that explains an important event in my life that they just wouldn't truly know me without reading!
  • cbhawks50cbhawks50 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    I'm writing a 1, but if that ends up sucking i might end up writing a 4
This discussion has been closed.