right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

HS Class of 2015: Which Common App prompt do you plan on answering?

430ktk430ktk 350 replies17 threads Member
I'm just trying to get a feel for which Common App prompts are the most and least popular. You don't need to comment with your topic plans or anything (unless you want to), just the question about which you plan on writing. So, which Common App prompt are you going to answer?
111 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: HS Class of 2015: Which Common App prompt do you plan on answering?

• lgm2113lgm2113 10 replies2 threads New Member
    debating between #1 and #4
    · Reply · Share
  • SomethingWithinSomethingWithin 172 replies22 threads Junior Member
    I'm doing #1, the one about having a story that is central to my identity. I'm sure this one is the most popular one.
    · Reply · Share
  • EncordEncord 113 replies1 threads Junior Member
  • akacesfanakacesfan 576 replies48 threads Member
    Apparently, I'm one of the few doing #2.
    · Reply · Share
  • wwsjl23wwsjl23 43 replies8 threads Junior Member
  • Wharton2020Wharton2020 175 replies8 threads Junior Member
  • CtesiphonCtesiphon 1998 replies114 threads Senior Member
    #1. It's arguably the easiest prompt and most broad in terms of how you can answer it.
    · Reply · Share
  • spiritkoispiritkoi 235 replies11 threads Junior Member
    @teastraw‌ ayeee i'm doing that too. But i'm leaning towards 4 or 5
    · Reply · Share
  • theshinstheshins 195 replies18 threads Junior Member
    3, is nobody else doing it?
    · Reply · Share
  • joscarterjoscarter 51 replies12 threads Junior Member
  • dancingwriterdancingwriter 414 replies29 threads Member
    Either 2 or 4.
    · Reply · Share
  • DiscipulusBonusDiscipulusBonus 820 replies181 threads Senior Member
    Either 1 or 4.
    · Reply · Share
  • 430ktk430ktk 350 replies17 threads Member
    Here's a reference for people like me who can never remember the prompts in order:
    1. Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
    2. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
    3. Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
    4. Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?
    5. Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
    · Reply · Share
    For those of you answering question 1, are you writing more about a specific story and how it relates to your identity or about a larger background with less of a focus on one specific event?
    · Reply · Share
    So it sounds like 1 and 4 are the most popular.
    · Reply · Share
  • akacesfanakacesfan 576 replies48 threads Member
    I'm actually surprised that more people aren't doing #2. Everyone has failed at something at least a few times in their life, so it shouldn't be that hard to find a failure you learned something from, right?
    · Reply · Share
    @akacesfan‌ I think a lot of people are, or at least I was, worried that writing on that topic would probably lead to a cliche lesson: I learned never to give up, I learned it didn't matter anyways, I learned to try harder, I learned anything is possible, I learned winning isn't everything, etc. I was also a little worried that I would pick something too trivial as my failure.
    · Reply · Share
  • alsa2000alsa2000 122 replies19 threads Junior Member
    2. I'm drawing a blank with the others save 3 but that'd be risky.

@430ktk do you think losing/abandoning a young child in an amusement park is a big enough failure? I learned that the right option isn't always the option I want. It also includes strong Harry Potter references and is a vacation story of sorts (I know I'm playing with fire). I used my experience as a creative writer to inject a lot of emotion into it.

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity