right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Is this experience appropiate for my essay?

Briang11Briang11 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited December 2014 in College Essays
Hi everyone,
First of all, I'm brian , I'm from El Salvador, and I'm new on this site.

Now to the point, I want to know if the following experience is apt for the CA essay prompt #5(Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.) : ``As a child I didn't like football(soccer) so much, actually football bored the hell out of me. However, this change when, at the age of 10, my father forced me to go to watch a soccer game. The match was El Salvador vs Costa Rica. The zealous way fans supported the national team, the emotion of shouting `goal´, the euphoria of the game and the pride of seeing my national team winning , all these factors provoked that I actually liked football. Although the final outcome of the game was a defeat for El Salvador, I felt an excitement for football that I had never felt it before. From there, I became a in love for soccer so much that now I don't miss a single match of the teams I support . Not only that, but I started praticing the sport and I just love it. Currently, I'm in my high school team, as a keeper; although I don't intend to become a profesional footballer(frustated dream). Football has become an integral aspect of me and I think my life wouldn't be the same without it.´´

This is just the experience of the essay

Or could I use soccer for the CA essay prompt #1 (Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.) ?

Thank you in advance.
edited December 2014
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is this experience appropiate for my essay?

• jpheysjpheys 193 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Neither. Nothing will stand out about this essay except maybe that you are from El Salvador, and that alone is not enough.
    · Reply · Share
  • PlebeianDreamerPlebeianDreamer 55 replies15 threads Junior Member
    If you had to choose one, prompt #1 would fit your story better. But as jpheys said, try to focus on something unique to your story. You have to understand that colleges will probably read a lot of how x or y sport changed my life essays.
    · Reply · Share
  • jyana32jyana32 39 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I believe the experience can fit into either essay prompt, but you have to elaborate on how this event changed you from childhood to adulthood/how it is central to your identity. As you said, this is just the experience part, but if you are able to put together a clever paragraph to show how exactly this experience changed you or made you find your identity - that is what the admissions office is looking for. Doesn't matter what experience it is, just HOW and WHY was it so important to you.
    · Reply · Share
  • bomerrbomerr 1952 replies4 threads Senior Member
    i agree with @‌jpheys

The only unique aspect will be the part where you are from El Salvador.

Leave Soccer as an EC and think of a better essay topic.
    · Reply · Share
  • saurabh1Rsaurabh1R 3 replies2 threads New Member
    i think you should elaborate to it more attractive.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity