right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Motifs and Themes in Your Essays

jooWoniejooWonie 82 replies13 threads Junior Member
edited December 2014 in College Essays
So, for me to stand out from thousands of applicants is to include somesort of recurring theme or motif. But I think mine is a bit weird: one revolved how crows follow me around and the other one was how cutting up an onion helped me realize my own meaning of life.

Are these types of essays risky perhaps? Idk anymore. I'm stressed out & haven't stepped outside for days.
edited December 2014
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Motifs and Themes in Your Essays

• binatangbinatang 470 replies40 threads Member
    maybe step outside to clear your mind
    I think if written well, a motif can help convey what you want to say more strongly
    That's good, if what you want to say is a good topic
    · Reply · Share
  • VSGPeanut101VSGPeanut101 865 replies21 threads Member
    These themes sound fine, not "risky" in any bad way. They sound creative and interesting. Just make sure you are highlighting yourself, and not just "showing off" your writing skills.
    · Reply · Share
  • jpheysjpheys 193 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Admissions officers will be grateful to encounter something outside the box. Go for it.
    · Reply · Share
  • jyana32jyana32 39 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Being creative and able to relate an everyday situation or event is an art in itself, in my opinion. I'm sure the admissions office will appreciate reading something of this sort and will know that you can think openly. It is themes and motifs like these that touch people in poetry, movies, and all types of art.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity