Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Number 1 Reason to NOT post your essay here: PLAGIARISM CHECKERS

Replies to: The Number 1 Reason to NOT post your essay here: PLAGIARISM CHECKERS

• DanHuynhCADanHuynhCA Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Hi can someone help take my post down?
  • DavidIRDavidIR Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Plagiarism checkers can only scan publicly available. Thus sending articles via email or text massengers is OK. ;)
  • LLLLCCCCLLLLCCCC Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I never would have thought of that.
  • tapdancer123tapdancer123 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Thanks!
  • digmediadigmedia Registered User Posts: 3,331 Senior Member
    Very funny: The episode of The Good Wife on last night dealt with Grace (the daughter in the show) being rejected from admissions because a plagiarism checker marked her essay as plagiarized. She had a quote in the essay from The Sermon on the Mount.
  • cutepugcutepug Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Indeed, if one doesn't have local support for their essays, this may be a good place to find it, but I would private message a few people who seem to know a thing or two. Never a public post. But there is a possible strategy that is usually effective: the post is an initial draft. After collecting dozens of suggestions they are in position to refurbish the piece to brilliance. Mission accomplished!
  • ProfessorDProfessorD Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    Even if the essay is deleted, if the webcrawler used by the plagiarism detector has scanned the page in the intervening time, it is now part of that detector's data set.
  • mik006mik006 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    If you message it to the wrong person, however, they could just copy it and take it themselves.
  • totesthetotorototesthetotoro Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    How does one contact a moderator to take a post down????
  • MomofThree95MomofThree95 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    My daughter wrote a great essay last year in AP English class. She would like to use the topic for her Common Application essay. It it OK to tweak a previously written essay? She worries about plagiarism, even though she wrote it.
  • lovexmangolovexmango Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Wow that's really a scary thought ><
  • Andrewx91Andrewx91 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    If we copy the link of our previous essay while posting it or submitting to somewhere else that can help?
  • yenniamyenniam Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Momofthree95, that should be no issue unless CB made your essay public... not like your daughter or anyone else can access their phones and jot essays down verbatim during the exam, so no reason for CB to feed essays into checking systems either.
  • pkchamp89pkchamp89 Registered User Posts: 610 Member
    When your using parts of your own work from a previous essay I think you are ok. The only time I'd worry with that is if the essay has previously been made public. Now, you run the risk of your original work being taken by someone else. This now opens you up to the plagiarism aspect if someone else uses it and then you use it.
  • vik0likes0csvik0likes0cs Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    If I include my name at the end, would it be ok?
This discussion has been closed.