Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Essay Tips to Consider

123457»

Replies to: Essay Tips to Consider

• websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,927 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Only way to know essays made a significant difference is if the adcom tells you so, or at an accepted students gathering, they mention your essay as one of the impactful essays, i.e., that stood out to them. Even then, who knows?
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,449 Senior Member
    The common data set of almost every college lists how much importance a given college places on the essay. A bad essay at a college that considers them "very important" can be a decisive factor in denial. A great essay at that same college might outweigh other factors. And there have been quite a few stories here on CC whereby a student has received a personal note saying the essay was memorable, etc... If you get in despite some weaker points in your app, it could well be that the essay made the difference.
  • Happy4uHappy4u Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    @Herpzlord - William and Mary is known to value the essay highly, and likes quirky, different submissions. I won't necessarily leapfrog a student who is academically unqualified, but will allow a talented writer to demonstrate their "uniqueness".
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,927 Senior Member
    I am not sure being the great writer is a prerequisite to writing great college essays. Some kids write book essays beautifully but have a hard time writing about themselves.
123457»