Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rice University Cliches

eliteorigineliteorigin Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Just a random thought, is it too cliche to cite JFK's "We Choose to Go to the Moon" speech in a Rice supplemental essay?

Replies to: Rice University Cliches

• jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,663 Senior Member
    Honestly.... probably.
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Depends on the context, but probably...
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,298 Senior Member
    I'm not sure I would be spending any of those precious words quoting someone ELSE.
  • BoolaBoolaBoolaBoola Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    Quoting it is a bad idea. Invoking the spirit of it, however, could work.
  • MrElonMuskMrElonMusk Registered User Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    The supplemental essay is to explain why you're interested in Rice and not JFK.
  • stevestar888stevestar888 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I totally talked about JFK's moon speech.. and quoted the "not because it is easy but because it is hard" part in my "how did you first hear of rice speech." But it was true! first time I heard of Rice was from that speech.

In hindsight, probably a cliche. in the end though, it comes to down feel. If JFK feels like it fits, then use it!
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    In that context, it's probably fine to refer to JFK's speech if indeed you can claim (or or without some degree of literary license or revisionist history) that that is where you first heard of Rice. At least you didn't wait until Neil DeGrass Tyson spoke there in 2013, although I'm sure that was many people's first exposure to Rice.
  • Seven_SecondsSeven_Seconds Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Agreed, probably cliched and probably comes up a lot for the ad coms at Rice!