Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do these college essay topics work?

EjjrfsEjjrfs Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited April 14 in College Essays
Hi, I've been starting to look at college essay prompts as I am in my junior year. After reading many tips and threads, so far I developed two ideas and I'm wondering if someone can give me their opinion on them. One of them would be about how I gave up on drumming after moving to America due to not being able to afford the lessons here and having a hard time with a particular piece. However, recently I've picked it back up and I was thinking I could write about how the process of relearning drums and tackling the piece that I had a difficult time with before? The second idea is about how instead of binge watching popular shows like Strangers Things, I love watching chinese singing shows where many different Chinese artists and artisrs of other nationalities gather and compete. I could talk about how it helped me accept myself as a Chinese as I use to always want to be more American and how it shaped me to be more accepting and diverse person? Thank you in advance!!

Replies to: Do these college essay topics work?

• MrElonMuskMrElonMusk Registered User Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    One of them would be about how I gave up on drumming after moving to America due to not being able to afford the lessons here and having a hard time with a particular piece. However, recently I've picked it back up and I was thinking I could write about how the process of relearning drums and tackling the piece that I had a difficult time with before?
    Sounds pretty good to me...
    The second idea is about how instead of binge watching popular shows like Strangers Things, I love watching chinese singing shows where many different Chinese artists and artisrs of other nationalities gather and compete. I could talk about how it helped me accept myself as a Chinese as I use to always want to be more American and how it shaped me to be more accepting and diverse person?
    I don't see how watching these shows results in you accepting your Chinese heritage.
  • BusyBees12BusyBees12 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Agree with both of these points. The drumming could be a really interesting way to highlighting a number of your positive qualities and certainly will catch the eye.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,294 Senior Member
    Write a rough draft of each essay and see where your thoughts lead you.

Then ask a trusted adult-- like maybe your English teacher?-- to take a look.

Sometimes an idea that doesn't seem to have much promise comes alive when you sit down and see where it takes you.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,786 Forum Champion