Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are "Optional" essays really optional?

compSciLovercompSciLover Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
Harvard has an optional essay with no word limit, and I think submitting any extra information might hurt my chances of acceptance. However, it's Harvard, and I think they still expect it. Should I do it?

Also, does anyone else have examples of schools that have optional essays and know what admission stats are like for them?

Replies to: Are "Optional" essays really optional?

• Materof2Materof2 Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    Nothing is really optional. If there’s an “optional” essay, spend the time to write a tailored, awesome essay. If you can submit an “optional” resume, then spend the time to create a knock-their-socks-off resume. Same is true with interviews and letters of rec. Good luck to you.
  • compSciLovercompSciLover Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    @Materof2 Thank you for the advice. I'll spend some time and write a good one then hopefully
  • Materof2Materof2 Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    And I realize that Harvard doesn’t ask for all the things I mentioned above, but many schools do. The point is, tailor every application, and maximize every opportunity within the application. You’ll do great! Good luck to you. :)
    @Materof2 Thank you!
  • camiruthcamiruth Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    Simple answer: no. The "optional" part tends to just help a school see who is lazy/doesn't really want to go there.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,972 Forum Champion
    Also think: It's decision day and you didn't get into Harvard. Do you think "I wish I did that essay...then I know I did everything possible to try to get in."
    Yes I agree. Thank you all for the advice! I have written the optional Harvard essays and I've submitted a research portfolio as well