Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My common app essay isn't very personal.

dd11modd11mo Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited December 2018 in College Essays
The essay is a three year interval of being on my robotics team and effictevly changing how the team runs completely, and I bring in two passions of my life that led to my ability to implement the change, which also relate to my major. Is this alright? Or are good essays seen as the ones who are about personal hardship etc

Replies to: My common app essay isn't very personal.

• brgirl00brgirl00 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    If you show that's your passion and put your voice into the essay, it will be a good essay. They want to get to know you through your essay. But you need to reflect upon how that changed you or show *why* that is important.
  • CaMom13CaMom13 Registered User Posts: 842 Member
    I think admissions folks have read SO many overcoming personal adversity essays that an applicant writing on another topic would likely make them happy. If it's about something you love, that's even better.
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 2,010 Senior Member
    Just make sure the essay is about YOU -- not just about robotics. Also, remember, you are telling a STORY -- not writing a factual or persuasive essay.
  • jameshomiesjameshomies Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    If it explains how it changed you, and how you contributed, it works