Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help/Advice on College Essay

ktong777ktong777 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
I'm currently a junior, but I'm planning on writing out most of my college essays over the summer or during my junior year so that I don't have to worry about them later on (I'll be pretty busy senior year).

Currently my essays aren't very good. They're like your typical robotic/chunky English class essay, and not very captivating. Where's a good place to read real college essays that got people into top schools?

Replies to: Help/Advice on College Essay

• HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,576 Senior Member
    edited January 6
    Can’t recall the titles of the books, but I know of some books that purportedly show real life essays of Ivy League/Top 20 accepted students.

Work with a trusted English teacher to refine your essays.

And if you are taking AP Language and Composition/AP Literature and Composition, some instructors may give out college essay prompts for practice.

My son’s AP Lit teacher had the students write UC/private school essays as a graded assignment. She took the time to grade essays for 50 students and put very constructive comments (although most of them were graded extremely harshly).
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,436 Senior Member
    A quick check with an online bookseller should reveal several options.
  • ktong777ktong777 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    @Hamurtle Thank you for letting me know! I'll look for some books. I'll probably work with my guidance counselor some time this semester to get some college essays written.

@Publisher I'll look into it. Thank you!
  • yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    Start by reading "Hack the College Essay",freely available online.