Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this an okay essay topic?

2»

Replies to: Is this an okay essay topic?

• scubadivescubadive Registered User Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    edited April 28
    And if someone else could have written this same essay don’t do it. My guess is lots of kids write similar essays. Write about something completely unique to you in that if the essay was passed out at hs with no name attached everyone would know it was you. My eldest had health issues who wrote an essay about how she felt when she was most content and where she felt this without ever mentioning an illness but reading between the lines you knew there was some issue but you really got a sense of who she was outside of school and how she overcame adversity in everyday life in her own way. No one else could have written it. My son wrote about dirt from the time he was a toddler which led to his love of earth moving machines and his insatiable love of books to how everything in the universe works and the interconnection. It was truly unique and a very accurate portrayal of who he is.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 6,043 Senior Member
    ...if you can describe how you worked to resolve your own internal dissonance between the values you were raised with and your ambition and love for engineering in a way that feels respectful, affirming, and thoughtful, then I think it can work.

This.

Writing about a bad experience or weakness can be a good jumping off point for an essay if it allows you to craft an essay that will show why a school should want you. As other have said, just whining or writing the same essay a thousand other kids could write is not going to help.

Remember that college essays should really all have the same topic-the student. The college won't want to hear about all the horrible things your classmates and teachers did and said; they want to learn about you, how you think, and how you overcome obstacles. If you can write compellingly about yourself within the framework of an essay about being challenged in your desire to become an engineer, give it a go. Do have someone else who is willing to be brutally honest read it for tone.

My child's main essay was about her learning disability, a topic usually considered taboo. If she had come here for advice I'm sure she would have been strenuously discouraged from using it, but she made it work for her. She wrote about how her LD sparked a life-long interest in psychology, the subject she wants to study in college. She over-performed for her stats at schools that look at recs. and essays so I'm pretty sure it had a positive, or at least not negative, impact.

• bethany23bethany23 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    instead of talking about the hardships you faced, i would focus on how you harnessed it to get you to where you are now. best of luck!
  • futurebruin205futurebruin205 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Maybe try to speak about the positives?
  • Leo2016Leo2016 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    A lot of nice advice...thumbs up for starting thinking about this so early.