Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Trash, the Library and a Worn, Brown Table: The 2019 College Essays on Money

Replies to: Trash, the Library and a Worn, Brown Table: The 2019 College Essays on Money

• Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,900 Senior Member
    edited May 19
    @bopper: Thanks so much for this post. I enjoyed the mix of redsays. Some felt closer to rendered-from-the-heart than others;, nearly throwing me into a place in which I find myself after listening to Mary Chapin-Carpenter.

All of the essays served to remind me of the vastness of the human experience, and the respective path each of us walks to get to "here," to "now".

Each of these young people will certainly enter the room able to deepen the discussion; add to its tones, shape and direction.

Glad to know that each of them has the opportunity to walk into those rooms.
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    I had posted this article on another thread. The worn, brown table and the young man from LA’s stories resonated with me as a first-gen from a big, low-income family whose parents did not get to complete high school.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,302 Senior Member
    edited May 19
    The first essay is much better than the other four essays. Professional quality. Seems way too good to be the work product of a high school senior; maybe that is why he is headed to west LA College while the others are off to major universities ?

P.S. If it is his work, then he should be in a program for gifted writers.
  • Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,900 Senior Member
    @Publisher: precisely.