right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

No period after sentences

catiemocatiemo 2 replies1 threads New Member
Help!! So for my commonapp personal statement, I had to omit most spaces between sentences so that I could use more words. Is that a big no and do you think it would influence the admission decision? The essay itself is really strong and being able to write more helped for that. Should I change it and try to just cut words instead?
17 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: No period after sentences

• lookingforwardlookingforward 34835 replies394 threads Senior Member
    Lol. No idea where you're applying but the ability to effectively self edit is needed. Yes, it matters. That's the opposite of running on, cramming in more words.

It's a rookie error to think your writing needs to say everything possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 214 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Yes, I believe this would impact your chances at admission. Your essay is NOT "strong" if you use horrible punctuation. You have to figure out a way to cut words. How much over are you? Do you know someone (many a writing teacher, a counselor, or a parent with good writing skills) who can help you edit your essay? Often there are unnecessary words you can delete or ways you can rearrange sentences so that it still says the same thing but with less words/characters.

· Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5711 replies1 threads Senior Member
    "Is that a big no..."

Thinking this through, this is a big NO.

You MUST make the breaks between sentences clear. You also MUST split things up appropriately into paragraphs.

The ability to write concisely is very valuable in life. They are judging as much or more on how you say it as on what you say.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3447 replies11 threads Senior Member
    At first I imagined that the writer had left two spaces after each period (as I do) and was getting rid of one. Agree that you can always get rid of a few words instead.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3447 replies11 threads Senior Member
    ^ where did my extra space go? Looks like CC deletes it.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1805 replies13 threads Senior Member
    How exactly are you removing spaces between sentences? does your essay look like this?
    HelpSo for my commonapp personal statement I had to omit most spaces between sentences so that I could use more wordsIs that a big no and do you think it would influence the admission decisionThe essay itself is really strong and being able to write more helped for thatShould I change it and try to just cut words instead

Or do you mean that you're using single space LINES, so that your essay should look like this:
    Help!! So for my commonapp personal statement, I had to omit most spaces

between sentences so that I could use more words. Is that a big no and do you

think it would influence the admission decision? The essay itself is really strong

and being able to write more helped for that. Should I change it and try to just

cut words instead?

But instead, you wrote it like this:
    Help!! So for my commonapp personal statement, I had to omit most spaces
    between sentences so that I could use more words. Is that a big no and do you
    think it would influence the admission decision? The essay itself is really strong
    and being able to write more helped for that. Should I change it and try to just
    cut words instead?
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2080 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Edit!
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1681 replies14 threads Senior Member
    You can make it shorter: Read it out aloud, have someone else read it too. Remove adjectives, use hyphenated words, change sentence structure, drop most if not all the “so”, “very” and “but”, ..., add back spaces and periods.
    Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 214 replies5 threads Junior Member
    At first I imagined that the writer had left two spaces after each period (as I do) and was getting rid of one. Agree that you can always get rid of a few words instead.

I read somewhere that the two spaces between sentences is a big red flag that the essay was written by an adult and not a student. A current student would never put two spaces in after a sentence. They are just not taught that way now.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34835 replies394 threads Senior Member
    Main thing is, you just don't need to write War & Peace. Don't need every action or emotion detailed. No need to quote full sentences or conversations. Running on, endless details, etc, are distractions and can lead to rambling (a no-no.)

Remember: there's beauty in precision. And, the editor's mantra: Be Brutal.
    · Reply · Share
  • catiemocatiemo 2 replies1 threads New Member
    All good, I fixed it and cut the words I needed to. Jeez you people don't need to be aggressive about it. Appreciate those that kindly expressed their opinions. Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • catiemocatiemo 2 replies1 threads New Member
    No, what I meant is sth like this:

Hello.My name is... (no space between hello and my)
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23399 replies17 threads Senior Member
    ^^Honestly, that looks wrong, like you don't know proper formating or have no typing skills.

Have you ever seen A River Runs Through It? "Again, half as long." "Again, shorter." Edit, edit, edit.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9513 replies510 threads Senior Member
    This is very funny.

No, you cannot run words together with a period. For other readers, use at least basic punctuation and spacing, and no text-speak. These aren’t graded assignments, but some minimum standards are expected. And yes, trying to run words together shows an inability to self-edit. The 650 word count is plenty.

If you try to submit more words than the app allows, they simply won’t load and your essay will be cut off.
    · Reply · Share