right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

I talked my friend down from suicide - Can I use it in a college essay?

figaro13figaro13 0 replies1 threads New Member
I don't want to go into too much detail here, the title explains it. I'm aware that the essay should be structured around me, not another person. I'm also aware that depression/suicide is a controversial topic, and is not recommended to write about in a college admissions essay (for fear that it would reflect poorly on the state of my mental health). However, since I was not the depressed/suicidal individual, I was wondering if this might tell a different story. I in no way intent to capitalize on my friend's horrible situation, so is there a risk of it coming across that way? The reason I want to write about it is because it was a hugely important moment that revealed to me what I truly value in life. Thank you for any advice.
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I talked my friend down from suicide - Can I use it in a college essay?

• HippobirdyHippobirdy 545 replies1 threads Member
    I would be concerned about friend's privacy rights.
    Also, such an essay could be misunderstood- a reader might think you're describing your own suicidal event - the whole "asking for a friend" meme.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7047 replies65 threads Senior Member
    Substitute a single generic phrase for the part about your friend (“I was involved in a life and death situation involving a friend”) and then write the rest of the essay: From that experience I discovered X about myself. Since then I have [what you have done with this new self awareness]. If your essay doesn’t hit your word limit based on what’s in the brackets then you don’t have enough meat *about you* to write that essay. If your essay is strong enough on it’s own it doesn’t matter if it was a suicide attempt or a car accident or cancer that created the situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2656 replies55 threads Senior Member
    Personally I would avoid this type of essay. If it takes the misfortune of others to make yourself look good, is that really the best reflection of you?

I like collegemom3717's proposed changes, especially if you can leave out exactly what happened with the other person, but I still feel it's a fine line.
    · Reply · Share