right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Can I Write About Something Traumatic Without it Sounding Like a Sob Story?

charliechaplincharliechaplin 0 replies1 threads New Member
When I was 15, I got into an abusive relationship. I'm not going to explain every little detail, but it really impacted me. However, I did learn from it. I grew as a person after that ordeal and I believe that I am better now for it. I want to connect this experience to the idea that "giving up" on dreams isn't always a bad thing. As teenagers do, I thought I would spend my life with him. However, after the fact, I realized that it was okay for me to leave; it was okay for me to give up on that dream of mine in order to shape my own happiness. I have never been the type of person to give up; I've always been very determined and goal-oriented, so this lesson changed my life. I shifted the stale dreams I'd had in order to pursue goals that would actually make a good life for me.

Is it okay to incorporate that experience into my essay?
0 replies
· Reply · Share