right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Popular Essay Topic Choice

marisky04marisky04 0 replies1 threads New Member
I'm a rising Senior, currently working on my personal statement. The topic I'm picking is a pretty popular one, is there any advice for me to stand out while writing a topic that's often, picked by many students? (Also, I'm applying using the common app for anyone wondering...)
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Popular Essay Topic Choice

• woahchuwoahchu 13 replies4 threads Junior Member
    If that is the case (popular topic), I think you should consider whether or not there are other more obscure topics that could work.

If you really want to use this common topic, it should hook the reader within the first paragraph, be a unique take on the topic, etc. Otherwise, the admissions might skim it over because they've already read X number of essays about Y topic.

If you are choosing to do something like sports, Covid19, or something else you already put in your ECs, try to stay clear since most people have gone through these things as well and it doesn't make it a unique experience to YOU.
    · Reply · Share