right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Is lucid dreaming a good topic?

asdf3779asdf3779 1 replies1 threads New Member
I'm writing the UC essays, and I currently have 5 drafts (each for a different topic). However, 2 of them are both about piano, albeit different aspects (1 is for prompt 2, the other for prompt 3). I've been told that I should avoid talking about the same topic in 2 different essays, but this would force me to talk about lucid dreaming (prompt 8). It seems like a risky topic, and I think my grades and test scores are good enough that the risk seems unnecessary.

So basically my question is: would it be riskier to write about piano in 2 of the 4 prompts, or write about lucid dreaming and make each essay about a different topic?

Note: My other essays are for prompts 4 (internship) and 5 (OCD and social issues).
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is lucid dreaming a good topic?

• LindagafLindagaf 11262 replies603 threads Super Moderator
    I’m totally confused, but you asked about writing about lucid dreams. Sure, why not? Make sure you are telling AO’s something about yourself snd not just about the dream.

And personally, I would avoid talking about OCD. Mental health topics in general are best avoided.
    · Reply · Share
  • flamingogirlflamingogirl 60 replies1 threads Junior Member
    two piano topics would make them both seem a bit boring. Write about lucid dreams !
    · Reply · Share
  • asdf3779asdf3779 1 replies1 threads New Member
    @Lindagaf sorry I should've used the full name, by OCD I meant osteochondritis dissecans, not obsessive compulsive disorder.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 11262 replies603 threads Super Moderator
    Ah, got it. I wouldn’t talk about a medical condition anyway, if possible. Are you more than your condition? No idea what the prompt is though.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35630 replies400 threads Senior Member
    edited September 11
    Be careful you aren't informing them of something they don't need to know. Or don't want to. This isnt a hs writing assignment

I'm not sure how well a college applicant can show lucid dreaming as an asset to the college community. Be very aware of what assets, strengths, experiences and interests they do want to see in you.

Generally, that's how you interact, take on challenges, support others. Positives.

One of my girls could lucid dream, as a child. Interesting.
    edited September 11
    · Reply · Share