right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Want to know how a college REALLY decides who gets in? Jeff Selingo author of "Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions" spills the tea in our forums and will be answering your questions. Get yours answered now!
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

How can I incorporate being mixed-race into my college app essays?

VinSar21VinSar21 7 replies5 threads New Member
edited September 10 in College Essays
I know being mixed-race has advantages in college admissions, so I want to see how I can incorporate this into my essays.
edited September 10
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How can I incorporate being mixed-race into my college app essays?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 25252 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Being mixed race MIGHT have an advantage. In California publics, it does not.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35604 replies400 threads Senior Member
    edited September 11
    Exvept where not allowed, they'll see your mixed background in the section on identity and code it. Done.

You can try for an essay that reflects your appreciation of your mixed heritage, customs, quirks. It depends. The right personal assets need to come through.

Sometimes, this is better for a supp answer than the personal statement. You'll need to decide based on the colleges.
    edited September 11
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 8160 replies87 threads Senior Member
    I get how competitive admissions are at the colleges you want to attend, and I understand the instinct to look for every bit of advantage you can find. But cumulatively, your posts gives the impression that you are hoping that facts of your life (your "near death" experience", your "mixed race" status, your JROTC leadership status) will tick a box, and if you tick enough/the right boxes it will give you an edge in admissions. It doesn't really work that way.

It's what you have done with those things that matters. Being the Core-Commander implies leadership- but the story you tell will show what kind of leader- and thus a part of what kind of person - you are. Many of the colleges on your list will note that part of your heritage is hispanic (and thus URM) and part is Indian (and thus ORM)- but while the URM side may get you a longer look, it's not a magic pass. The colleges on your list (variously, "T25", GaTech, Duke, UNC-CH, the Ivys, UC-I, and NEU) are going to weigh your UW GPA (3.69)/UC C&W 4.0) and class rank (63/278/top 22%) heavily.

Read this, from MIT admissions:

https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/applying_sideways/

· Reply · Share