Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Editing Your College Essays

124»

Replies to: Editing Your College Essays

• PoloniusMouthPoloniusMouth Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    Here is the all important advice:

make your essay funny but keep it moderately. Perhaps a pleasant exchange in which you embarrass yourself. Just don't offend anyone
  • immajap88immajap88 Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    thanks moms! and also, don't send your essay to JUST ANYONE you meet here on college confidential. This place is full of maniacal, overachieving, Machiavellian midgets.
  • ohio_momohio_mom Registered User Posts: 4,045 Senior Member
    semamom,
    my son only completed one common app - and that did require a supplement that he was able to complete online. In general, completing as much of an application online as possible is better.

Last year, I think that the the number of characters was actually counted for some components - the number of words was a guideline that typically could be exceeded. If a print preview feature is available, use that to verify that everything you think is in the application is, in fact, in the application.

All of the on-line apps that my son submitted provided an e-mail confirmation that the form was received. For the paper bits (transcripts that come from the guidance office and letters of recommendation from teachers) - do yourself a favor and included stamped reply cards. While they don't ensure that the college will file all the transcript materials correctly (one uni lost the hs transcript), if you don't get them back in a couple of weeks or so, you will know at least something is wrong. My son's coded with TR-H (for teacher rec - initial) and so on. If you or your s/d are sending out a lot of apps, check off the cards on a spreadsheet when they are returned. Teacher's not sending rec's is a pretty common problem (they procrastinate, too!). Remember that application will not, in most cases, be reviewed until it is complete (expect for the midyear grades).
  • ohio_momohio_mom Registered User Posts: 4,045 Senior Member
    immajap88,
    good points. If you send essays to someone you trust, please send them early. We might be doing something fun on new year's eve this year ...
  • ClaySoulClaySoul - Posts: 2,176 Senior Member
    I think the danger of having a long essay is also having uneeded or tangential information and corny flowery language. But if shortening your essay will significantly compromise your story/message -- don't do it!
  • thecmpguruthecmpguru Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Sometimes I wish I didn't have to write an essay. I wish that an alumni interview at Duke would be sufficient. I hate bragging.
  • thecmpguruthecmpguru Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    The word limit's probably just a suggestion to keep it reasonable.
  • just_forget_mejust_forget_me Registered User Posts: 2,244 Senior Member
    thecmpguru-First off, Duke's alumni interviews are very informal and not a major factor in their application process. Second, a good essay doesn't "brag" it reveals. Showing and not telling is a big thing here.
  • Mano82Mano82 Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    anyone iterested in reading an essay and giving their personal opinion of it? If so pm me or post here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
124»
This discussion has been closed.